Looking for a reminder tool

Any other tech-related topics
spicydog

Looking for a reminder tool

#1 Post by spicydog »

I am looking for a simple utility that would show a reminder (at every logon/boot) for important dates and events such as birthdays, anniversaries, bill payments etc.

The main features that I am after are (in order of importance):

- Ability to handle recurring events
- Popup note (possibly with sound notification) at every logon/boot
- Advance notification (ability to notify events some days in advance)
- Search function
- Email notification (ability to send a reminder to a designated email address)

Any suggestions?

joby_toss

Re: Looking for a reminder tool

#2 Post by joby_toss »

PowerPro is what I use for this. Don't know how to set it up for e-mail notification though, but I'm sure it can do it (if not directly, at least by using a script).
Screenshot - 2013.02.23 , 1_48_25 AM.png
Edit: haven't use Rainlendar in a while, but I think it can do it, too.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

spicydog wrote: - Ability to handle recurring events
- Search function
- Email notification (ability to send a reminder to a designated email address)
I used Rainlendar for a long time and it's great, but would probably use Thunderbird + Lightning plugin as it will do all of these except (oddly) email notification. Alternatively, Sunbird would use less memory, but is out of date. It would probably do the trick just fine.

Zimbra would probably do the trick for all of those but is , but is even more bulky than you need and AFAIK not portable.

SYSTEM

#4 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote: Zimbra would probably do the trick for all of those but is , but is even more bulky than you need and AFAIK not portable.
I read the last two pages of that thread. There appears to be an unofficial portable version.

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/general-qu ... post226291
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

spicydog

#5 Post by spicydog »

Thank you all for your kind support :)

Both JT and webfork mentioned Rainlendar and in fact that seems to be the favorite candidate at the moment... Pity that I do not manage to find a suitable skin resembling this nice and clear one: http://www.putlocker.com/file/7402F41887B02384 (screenshot taken from a shareware called "Desktop iCalendar", which is suspiciously VERY similar to Rainlendar... Wonder who copied who).

Another thing that I do not manage to make Rainlendar do, is to show a popup note (with sound notification) at every logon/boot... Probably I need to "play" a bit more with it... But if anyone who is more familiar with that app could already confirm that that specific function does/doesn't work properly I could obviously save some time.

In my first post I should have mentioned that I am not too keen on using online services nor browser/cloud-bundled tools (thanks anyway to webfork/system for suggesting some) and that I'd rather use a standalone tool for this job.

I have also tested a few other apps, among which the trial of "WinReminders " (25 bucks!) that claims to handle also e-mail notifications but I was very disappointed.

Bottom line I guess that I am stuck :) with Rainlendar... Just need to fine-tune it a bit and hopefully skin it in the way that I want... Any suggestions for that are most welcome. I modded/improved an existing skin but I am reluctant to invest time to make my own :oops:

It goes without saying that I am very open to test any other application portable/freeware or otherwise... And it might be worth mentioning that (after having noticed the scarcity of good/reliable products on the net) I am ready to compromise and my revised requirements are now only these three:

- Ability to handle recurring events

Concluding, I must admit that Calendar Editor Pro (http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1280) despite being less of an eye candy could also be quite suitable for the job... Pity that development of this app seems to be discontinued!

donald

#6 Post by donald »

You are looking for Stickies the TPFC entry is a little too short on details but the Stickies homepage has a lot more to say below find email quote:
Stickies homepage wrote:Stickies can be attached to a web site, document or folder so they only show when it's on screen
Stickies can be transferred from one machine to another either over a TCP/IP network connection, or by using an SMTP mail server or MAPI client:

Hierarchical friends list, which may be automatically transferred from other friends
Play a sound file on receive
Signature for transmitted or emailed stickies
Favourite friends, and custom lists can be made
Please note Stickies can email Stickies over "SMTP mail server or MAPI client" also it can send them over a LAN.

(Options > Email tab or Options > Networking tab)

Edit****
Recurrence very easy (new Sticky > Right click title bar > select recurrence under Sleep then set options as desired.)
Playing a sound attaching a picture etc also easy.

Also from Zhornsoft find Birthday Reminder

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

Rainlendar does have pop-up messages with sound notification at boot, but you have to start it with windows (to automate it, or it pops up when you manually start the application) and select your own sound file (its path may be relative).

Here is a nice online dedicated email service: http://www.datereminder.co.uk/

spicydog

#8 Post by spicydog »

@ donald: Thanks for your effort, friend. Unfortunately both Zhornsoft apps (Stickies and Birthday Reminder) are very limited in the area of creating recursive tasks/events and while they might be suitable for reminding the "once only" and the "yearly" dates, they are unsuitable for the job I need this app to do. Your initiative was nevertheless very appreciated :)

@ joby_toss: You have been very kind to confirm that the boot popup option of Rainlendar does indeed work. So I went back to it and found out that I was doing something wrong myself! What I did was setting an alarm with advance notification (say, 3 days before the event) and I saw that Rainlendar was not notifying me (also) 2 days before or on the day of the event.

So I discovered that I had to set multiple alarms (1 for 3 days before + one for 2 days before + one for the actual day)... Sort of inconvenient in my book... Anyway, I (wrongly) assumed that the notification 3 days before the actual event was an additional notification and that the interim (the time between day 3 and day 1) was covered by that one alarm :oops:

About the datereminder service you might have missed this (from a previous post):
spicydog wrote:I am not too keen on using online services nor browser/cloud-bundled tools... I'd rather use a standalone tool for this job.
Thanks again to everybody and please keep your suggestions/tips coming :mrgreen: