gomplayer

Any other tech-related topics
udashy

gomplayer

#1 Post by udashy »

What types of Video players does Youtube support? i Tried Windows media player and GomPlayer which is AVI. None of them work. i really need help.

carbonize

Re: gomplayer

#2 Post by carbonize »

Your question makes no sense. YouTube only supports web browsers. GomPlayer plays more than just avi. Last I tested it plays pretty much anything you throw at it.

I think you meant to ask what video players will play FLV files which i what you get from YouTube. In that case I personally use KMPlayer.

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

F...ing spam!

Is this the price to pay for being one of the top suggestions on google searches for portable (and not only) apps?

Is there anything to be done?
-recaptcha on registering
-answer questions like "Is your mother a beautiful man?"
-send account activation links using email
etc.

Please! Do something! :)

carbonize

#4 Post by carbonize »

How is it spam? Other than being in a forum totally irrelevant to the post matter.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

I also believe it's not even human! :)

I might be wrong (but I'm not!)...but that's just me...I'm weird! :)

GeddichNixan

#6 Post by GeddichNixan »

C'mon joby don't be so angry. Sit down, have a cup of tee, report the spams and chill out. BTW, this IS the price to be paid for being the top of the list when one searches for "portable apps". In some way it is an acknowledgement of the excellence of this site. In order to avoid spam on the site you would have to make it virtually inaccessible.

Keep cool and ignore the spam....i.e. ignore it as soon as you reported it. :D

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

GeddichNixan wrote:BTW, this IS the price to be paid for being the top of the list when one searches for "portable apps". In some way it is an acknowledgement of the excellence of this site. In order to avoid spam on the site you would have to make it virtually inaccessible.
I agree that there's a balance between accessibility and security, and I am proud of our status as #1 and #2 in "portable freeware" on Google and Bing. All our members (including Joby) should be proud of that too. However, if our regulars are pissed off, it may be an indication that we are too open and need to lean more towards security. A good way to not be #1 anymore is to not listen to our users.

Edit: I just banned ~8 users and deleted quite a few spam posts so I'm a little miffed by it too.

joby_toss

#8 Post by joby_toss »

webfork wrote:All our members (including Joby) should be proud of that too.
Oh, but I am! :twisted:

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:I also believe it's not even human
Its probably not. The same post is on another website. Was probably a bot copying and pasting the text here.

I have locked the post and prevented the user from posting a signature. If they add a sig, it won't show up. These users rarely post more than once.

GeddichNixan

#10 Post by GeddichNixan »

webfork wrote: A good way to not be #1 anymore is to not listen to our users.
@webfork
Could you please explain it a little bit? I don't know how I should understand it.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

GeddichNixan wrote:
webfork wrote: A good way to not be #1 anymore is to not listen to our users.
@webfork
Could you please explain it a little bit? I don't know how I should understand it.
We should listen to Joby's frustration to encourage the site more towards the security side than the open side to cut down on spam. As this site is very much user-driven, its important to keep users happy and give them a place they enjoy posting their ideas and work. Our status as #1 depends on user involvement.

guinness

#12 Post by guinness »

If you search twitter with the term 'portablefreeware' it seems some users are adding 'our' updates (Forum and DB) to their twitter feeds :S Plus, shouldn't this topic be moved to Discussion or Chit-Chat?

Plus I would like to welcome joby_toss into the "1000 posts club!" :mrgreen:

GeddichNixan

#13 Post by GeddichNixan »

@webfork

Thanks for the explanation. While I still think that the site should not be made to a kind of a "digital fortress", I agree with you that Andrew and the mods should listen to the regular users' frustration resulting from spam. It is a great feature of this site that it is very much community driven. All in all I will welcome any solution which leads to less spam while it keeps a good balance between accessibility and spam control. I am unnerved by spam too therefore I have been diligently reporting any spam I discovered since the implementation of this function. Obviously I am less frustrated by this than joby, but mine is only one opinion of many.

@guinness
Agree. This topic has became a good candidate for either of your proposed categories. So mods, please be so kind.

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:If you search twitter with the term 'portablefreeware' it seems some users are adding 'our' updates (Forum and DB) to their twitter feeds :S
Yeah, there's a bunch of RSS-to-twitter tools out there that could easily behave as a front-end to our site.
guinness wrote:shouldn't this topic be moved to Discussion or Chit-Chat?
Plus I would like to welcome joby_toss into the "1000 posts club!"
Good call on both.

Moved to Chit-Chat.

joby_toss

#15 Post by joby_toss »

guinness wrote:Plus I would like to welcome joby_toss into the "1000 posts club!" :mrgreen:
Thanks! :mrgreen:

1000 already? Man, I'm old! :lol:

I love you, guys! :P