In favor of Crazy Browser

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
teobromina

In favor of Crazy Browser

#1 Post by teobromina »

I love tabbed browsers because they made searching more easy.

I have discovered recently in our database, section internet, Crazy Browser, http://www.portablefreeware.com/?c=2&sc=8&p=2
and I have made a trial comparing it to Firefox. In my oppinion Crazy Browser solves a problem I had with Firefox (both versions: 1.5 and 2.0 as well):
-With an Athlon 32 bits 1600+, ATI 9200 and a 0.5 Gb RAM I cannot use Firefox, opening a set of 12 tabs of news at once, because normally it freezes the screen and I have to restart Firefox. So I have to use Firefox like Internet Explorer (IE).
-With an Athlon 32 bits 2600+, ATI 9200 and a 1.5 Gb RAM I have less problems, but sometimes it also happen the same thing: the Firefox cannot bear alot of tabbs at once.

The Crazy Browser instead is taking the control of the IE, it does not broke when open several tabs at the same time, and it has a function 'Tools/Close/Delete all history' to maintain some degree of privacy when surfing internet.

May be it is because Crazy Browser is using the IE engine. I think it is a good solution and a real competitor of Firefox in Windows.

*JT.

Darkbee

#2 Post by Darkbee »

I think Green Browser is better if you want an IE based browser. The interface is a little confusing at first (the author is Chinese I think), some of the language takes time understand (even for a native English speaker!) but I find that it has all the features of Firefox, plus others without the need for any add-ons.

I've had similar experiences to yours, Firefox does seem to choke after opening about a dozen tabs or so.

teobromina

Very good indeed!

#3 Post by teobromina »

Darkbee: You are right. Despite the bigger complexity and size of Green Browser it looks very good. It has recognized my lenguaje, my favorites, etc... :o

I will make trials for some time before to decide between Green and Crazy.

*JT.

Darkbee

#4 Post by Darkbee »

What are the most important features for you? Do you just need the browser that uses the least amount of resources? Or are there specific features that you really must have?

K-Meleon is a pretty good NON IE browser (It's actually based on Mozilla/Firefox). There are several portable versions, but I'd probably recommend Pocket K-Meleon. This is a minimal browser that performs well for low-end spec machines. I don't know if it's available in Spanish though.

usdcs

#5 Post by usdcs »

Hi guys,

Fow what it's worth, I am replying to this message in FireFox 1.5.0.9, on a P2-233 with 192MB RAM, running WIN2K. I have 15 tabs open and FireFox is using 75 MB RAM.

Regards,
Dan

teobromina

OK, not only one is good

#6 Post by teobromina »

Darkbee, Thank you for your help.

The most valuable feature for me is the low size and foot print that is related much times to better speed.

Amongh the tabbed browsers I tested today, and comparing to Firefox, the best is Crazy. I miss the plugin 'DownloadThemAll' of Firefox but I can survive...

Green is great, but I think is more complex. Its lenguaje recognition is a tip, but not absolutely necessary. If I have only English, like in Crazy, then I may practice a little. Therefore still Crazy is better for me.

Finally, I have seen K-meleon and it is nice, but cannot launch several tabs of Favorites at once, and since runs from the pendrive, I think it is a little slower than Crazy, that take profit of the IE engine; more or less K-meleon is like Operator.

*JT.

teobromina

#7 Post by teobromina »

usdcs wrote:Hi guys,

Fow what it's worth, I am replying to this message in FireFox 1.5.0.9, on a P2-233 with 192MB RAM, running WIN2K. I have 15 tabs open and FireFox is using 75 MB RAM.

Regards,
Dan
usdcs, you are lucky, but my personal experience is that Firefox is good in Linux, and not so good in Windows. Or perhaps there is a combination of hardware that make Firefox to crash (?)

*JT.