Search Box for XP/2003 Start Menu

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
david.lynch

Search Box for XP/2003 Start Menu

#1 Post by david.lynch »

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a lightweight and as efficient as possible application that put a search box for start menu on XP/2003. Sometimes this Windows 7 feature is really nice, and it would be perfect on XP!

I've already seen some alternatives here on Portable Freeware but I'm unsure if they are good and act as the Windows 7 feature:

Pretty Run
Colibri
Svift

Any help would be appreciated! Image

joby_toss

Re: Search Box for XP/2003 Start Menu

#2 Post by joby_toss »

Although it's not the same thing, I'd use Everything because of the simplicity and efficiency.

david.lynch

#3 Post by david.lynch »

I'm also using it, useful even to remove leftovers after uninstallations, etc.

But an app that puts a search box next Start Button and allows to type there instantly, just as it is on Windows 7, would be a must!

Another example of a task bar productivity app is Taskix, very welcome also!

lautrepay

#4 Post by lautrepay »

Pretty Run is almost indispensable to me.
I actually use it to search in my start menu, control panel, Firefox bookmarks, contacts, videos, a database and part of my documents, and occasionally to take screenshots or notes.
Its indexing on-the-fly is extremely fast and efficient (no matter how many new items are added, they will be immediately available for searching without the need to rescan, manually or at certain intervals) and doesn't harm its responsiveness.
Despite all its many helpful features, I still consider it lightweight.
As nothing is perfect, it has two cons:
-A major one: it calls home looking for updates, and there's no way to deactivate this behavior.
-A minor one: I can't define ALT+Space as the hotkey (to which I was accustomed with Launchy).
david.lynch wrote:Another example of a task bar productivity app is Taskix, very welcome also!
I prefer Taskbar Shuffle.

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

The only tool that I know of that add a search box on the taskbar is Dave's Quick Search Taskbar Toolbar Deskbar. It's not portable though and may not offer the same functionality of the "search programs and files" but you could always ask the developer for fixes and new features.