Extracting setup files: effect on PC performance?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
shnbwmn

Extracting setup files: effect on PC performance?

#1 Post by shnbwmn »

Hello :D [I'm reposting this from a thread I also just started on PortableApps in order to get as much opinions as possible.]

The main reason I use portable apps is to keep my computer running as fast as possible. So far for the majority of software I use I've managed to find a portable version or at least a suitable portable alternative. But I also use many programs that aren't portable, and I thought that I would have to install all those to my computer. After some googling I discovered UniExtract, and I'm quite relieved that it works most of the time.

I'm also aware that using this method doesn't prevent registry entries being made, settings being stored to various locations on the computer, etc. I don't really care about the settings aspect, but what I do worry about is whether the mess in the registry will eventually slow the computer down. Can/will this happen? Speed/performance is my main concern, as the majority of my work is media-related (imaging programs, video-editing, 3D, etc).

Side-note: does running programs such as CCleaner help in this regard?

SYSTEM

Re: Extracting setup files: effect on PC performance?

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

Performance impact of registry entries is negligible. Don't worry about it. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

Re: Extracting setup files: effect on PC performance?

#3 Post by webfork »

I'm absolutely aligned with you on this. I love software and I was annoyed that program installation would -- over time -- slow down the machine to a crawl. It's one of the features that attracted me to portablefreeware. However, I regularly run 100s of different programs on my machine and the registry entries that stack up over time don't come close to standard software so I agree with SYSTEM.

There are some additional steps you can take, such as Wise Registry Cleaner or portabilizing tools like YaP http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/.