HiDPI Apps

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
freakazoid

HiDPI Apps

#1 Post by freakazoid »

So I just got a high-resolution monitor and am finding many apps listed on TPFC that are incompatible with HiDPI.

If apps are not compatible with HiDPI, they will look either grainy and blurry as they are scaled up by Windows, or look extremely tiny in other instances on high-resolution monitors.

I've started going through some of the apps on TPFC and I'm going to list the apps that are HiDPI-compatible and I'll update this post as I try out other apps.

If you've done some testing with other apps, let me know and I'll edit this post.

Some non-compatible apps can be forced to use HiDPI with DPI Awareness Enabler:
http://techie007.3utilities.com/softwar ... ssenabler/

Text Editors:
  • NotePad++ - Compatible, but toolbar icons are small on > 3000 pixel width monitors.
  • Atom Portable - No issues.
  • EditPad Lite - Some sizing issues.
  • PSPad - Some sizing issues.
Not on TPFC:
  • Sublime Text - No issues.
  • Brackets Portable - No issues.
Video Players
  • SMPlayer - Using this in place of MPlayer WW.
Last edited by freakazoid on Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

Re: HiDPI Apps

#2 Post by webfork »

> I've started going through some of the apps on TPFC and I'm going to list the apps that are HiDPI-compatible and I'll update this post as I try out other apps.

Cool, thanks. Could you post a few screenshots of what programs look like in those formats?

freakazoid

#3 Post by freakazoid »

Here's a good example:

I took this GIF from the DPI Awareness Enabler website, but it highlights the problem.

In the Before example, the text is blurry since Windows has upscaled the app. In the After example, the text is crisp again as it should be.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Yeah this transition is something that Apple was very prepared for while Microsoft clearly wasn't. Thanks for the breakdown.

shnbwmn

#5 Post by shnbwmn »

Somewhat related tidbit from GIMP (http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 193#p82193):
Wilber wrote:All work on icons by Klaus Staedtler is made on vector (SVG) images, which should allow better support for HiDPI displays (also commonly known as Retina) soon. Vector icons are an experimental feature, available after using the --enable-vector-icons build configure option. Note that this option does not allow HiDPI support at this time.