Can you recommend me a .CSV viewer (more than 256 columns)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
PeterV

Can you recommend me a .CSV viewer (more than 256 columns)

#1 Post by PeterV »

Hi there... I'm generating a logfile from my billing application that has around 500 columns showing me all key variables and their evolution.

I want to read this into Excel for easy browsing, but it won't open CSV files with more than 256 columns...

Now... can anyone recommend some little tool that does allow me to view my CSVs in table format? (viewing only is OK, don't need to edit or anything).

Thank you!!!

Peter

alanbcohen

#2 Post by alanbcohen »

Without a test file to try, I'm just suggesting a possible solution to try:
WinSQL is an ODBC database browser (lite is free for personal use) that is relatively small and can be copied to and run from a portable drive, if the ODBC drivers are available. I have no idea if it is stealth; you don't say whether that is in your requirements. I know I have used it on SQL Server and Oracle tables well over 300 columns wide. If you want me to try it for you, send me/post a sample file (maybe 10-20 rows of dummy data). As a FinSys professional, I'm curious - is this billing app commercially available? If so, which one is it?

teobromina

CSVEd

#3 Post by teobromina »

Try CVSEd

http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/t2t/text2table.htm

And then it will be nice to hear about if it is able to manage such a big amount of columns ... 8)
Regards.

*JT.

usdcs

#4 Post by usdcs »

I created a 1 row by 1024 column file and successfully opened it with CSVed. Then, I added a 1025th column. It took a while on my old P2-233 machine. But, it worked! 8)

EDIT: Added Permalink database entry.
Last edited by usdcs on Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PeterV

works like a charm!

#5 Post by PeterV »

Thank you !!! This is exactly what I needed !

Peter