Need media player that have codec’s included

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
tanks

Need media player that have codec’s included

#1 Post by tanks »

Hey all...

First of all: I love this site!!

At work I’m using a computer with Windows 2000. But it only have Windows Media Player 6.4 – so it can’t play WMV and other formats.

I have tried to use Media Player Classic – but it seems that it needs codec’s to play DivX and other formats.

Is there at portable Media Player I can run from my USB stick, so I can playback: WMV, DivX, Xvid, MPG, and streams from the Internet?

/Tanks 8)

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

VLC and MPUI (based on MPlayer) are both good choices.

I tend to use MPUI these days because it seems to support more formats out of the box.

Toxteth O'Grady

#3 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

There are different builds of MPlayer optimized for different CPU types:
http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/mplayer/
These can be used to replace the one that comes with MPUI.

Fluffy

#4 Post by Fluffy »

Oh, if only KMPlayer was portable... :( I use it simply because it has no equal, although it does have an option to "store settings to an ini" i haven't yet tested it to ensure that the registry remains clean. I should probably do that. Unfortunately the site requires you to sign up for their forums to download it, but this is one media player that simply cannot be missed.

http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/index.php

gp_hbk

#5 Post by gp_hbk »

Fluffy wrote:Oh, if only KMPlayer was portable... :( I use it simply because it has no equal, although it does have an option to "store settings to an ini" i haven't yet tested it to ensure that the registry remains clean. I should probably do that. Unfortunately the site requires you to sign up for their forums to download it, but this is one media player that simply cannot be missed.

http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/index.php
I use MPUI with MPlayer right now. KMPlayer looks promising. It might be worth it signing up for the forums.

Fluffy

#6 Post by Fluffy »

Oh, trust me, it's worth signing up for the forums. ;)

gp_hbk

#7 Post by gp_hbk »

Fluffy wrote:Oh, trust me, it's worth signing up for the forums. ;)
It surely is worth signing up. It's much better than MPUI or Portable VLC.
I think I will test it for portability.

h2oz7v

#8 Post by h2oz7v »

This is the original place where I found out about the awesome KMPlayer. I even started a wikipedia entry for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kmplayer

Please check it out and support it in the forums. Ta!

Right now I'm using MPC as default, MPUI as the portable player (3MB!!), KMPlayer as the "Jukebox" player and PowerDVD as...well a DVD player setup specifically for DVDs.

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

Just tried KMPlayer out. I must say I am quite impressed!

Just check "Store Settings to KMPcfg.ini under the "General" tab, and all settings will be written to the app folder instead of the registry.

The license says it is free for personal use. If only they don't make you sign up with the forum in order to download the app...

Any objections to me adding it to the database?

gp_hbk

#10 Post by gp_hbk »

Andrew Lee wrote:Just tried KMPlayer out. I must say I am quite impressed!

Just check "Store Settings to KMPcfg.ini under the "General" tab, and all settings will be written to the app folder instead of the registry.

The license says it is free for personal use. If only they don't make you sign up with the forum in order to download the app...

Any objections to me adding it to the database?
It can work portably.So it should be in the database.You should,of course,mention that you have to signup on their forums to get it.

Fluffy

#11 Post by Fluffy »

Oh indeed, this one should definitely be added. And you can get a direct download without signing up for the forums right here.

PS: It's the ZIP archive, too. ;)

gp_hbk

#12 Post by gp_hbk »

gp_hbk wrote:
I registered on the forum. I lost my password :cry: . I filled in my email address(GMail) on the lost password page. I checked and reachecked every five minutes for an hour and still didn't find anything in my inbox :? . Please help

Fluffy

#13 Post by Fluffy »

gp_hbk wrote:
gp_hbk wrote:
I registered on the forum. I lost my password :cry: . I filled in my email address(GMail) on the lost password page. I checked and reachecked every five minutes for an hour and still didn't find anything in my inbox :? . Please help
Yeah, I had the same damn problem. Apparently they just don't send emails since I couldn't find anything in my Spam folder from them either. Try signing up again, but this time with your email address like this: your.email+kmplayer@gmail.com . This will actually work fine. :) Don't lose that password again! :P

gp_hbk

#14 Post by gp_hbk »

Yeah, I had the same damn problem. Apparently they just don't send emails since I couldn't find anything in my Spam folder from them either. Try signing up again, but this time with your email address like this: your.email+kmplayer@gmail.com . This will actually work fine. :) Don't lose that password again! :P
You mean a new id?

Fluffy

#15 Post by Fluffy »

gp_hbk wrote:
You mean a new id?
Yeah. Sadly, since they don't seem to be able to mail out password reminders, this is pretty much the only way to get new skins and the latest betas.