Portable App equivalent of RealPlayer

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
ivorystraws

Portable App equivalent of RealPlayer

#1 Post by ivorystraws »

Hi,

I'm a total newbe to all of this but I just wanted to ask whether there is an equivalent portable application for realPlayer as I wanted to stream some audio from the BBC website and it requires RealPlayer.

Any advice is most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

nycjv321

#2 Post by nycjv321 »

vlc or mplayer should work (if you need a gui for mpalyer try smplayer or mpui)

pipetman

#3 Post by pipetman »

Not entirely sure, but doesn't VLC require RealAlternative (when downloading RA, it usually includes VLC, as far as I remember)?

nycjv321

#4 Post by nycjv321 »

ah you are right I though vlc supported real natively.... well mplayer should with binary codecs installed if it doesn't already...

freakazoid

#5 Post by freakazoid »

VLC works without Real Alternative... I'm listening to a BBC Radio 1 show right now!

I tend to use XMPlay though with their RealAudio plugin.
It's 100% portable and uses Real Alternative codecs... you need to read a guide for this though to get this to work.

-----------

One thing to note though is you'll need to dig for the BBC Radio show URL before you even try to use a player!

pipetman

#6 Post by pipetman »

Forgot to mention: Another good alternative is KMplayer (http://www.kmplayer.com/forums; not the KDE/Linux one!).

Just copy the codecs from RealAlternative (and/or QuicktimeAlternative, if you like) into the program dir. Plays anything I've ever thrown at it and looks a little prettier than VLC.

Jami

#7 Post by Jami »

I could never get VLC to accept RealPlayer stuff. KMplayer worked ok after gathering/borrowing all the necessary codecs. Now, however, I just use SMPlayer for everything. Download SMPlayer along with their “Additional codecs” package and you’re good to go. A portable version is also available now, which makes this app twice as sweet. :) http://smplayer.sourceforge.net

FWIW, I dumped this same codecs package into Media Player Classic and it plays .RM files without a whimper. Choice is good.

the_watcher

Re: Portable App equivalent of RealPlayer

#8 Post by the_watcher »

can someone tell me how to update kmplayer's codecs? (or add new ones)

webfork

Re: Portable App equivalent of RealPlayer

#9 Post by webfork »

The website doesn't appear to have anything on updating/adding codecs. Best bet is probably just to update the whole thing.

I'd make a backup copy of my current settings (usually an INI or XML file that's not in the default install) and then copy it back once you've installed the update.