Looking for a backup tool

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
m^(2)

Looking for a backup tool

#1 Post by m^(2) »

Hello, I'm looking for some good backup tool. I need it to have:
-command line interface
-support for incremental backups (determined by checksums, not attributes like Abakt does)
-compression

I would be very good if it could add recovery data to be protected from silent data corruption.

The only tool I know that offers all these options is DAR, but I really can't say that I like it. Interface is strange (I guess that *nix roots are the cause), docs barely helpful, compression is poor, no recovery data and it's at least 10 times too big for what it offers.

Does anybody know something better?

joby_toss

#2 Post by joby_toss »

Do you have any other specific requirements?
Because I think Cobian Backup could help you (although it only has few command line switches).

m^(2)

#3 Post by m^(2) »

Thanks for the suggestion, the tool is indeed quite good...unless you want to use incremental backups:
-It doesn't remember deleted files. Backup, rename a directory, backup, restore - you have it twice. Repeat 200 times (really not unlikely to happen in a year).
-Doesn't remember references to the previous archive. It makes it practically impossible to find the last full backup unless you mark them somehow. Even when the previous problem is fixed, it's impossible to find quickly what was the directory state at the time of last backup.
-It doesn't recognize moved files. Potentially huge waste of space.

I'm very surprised that the author didn't do it, because this it's a really nice program. And such things can be implemented easily, add a .xml file containing backwards references to each .7z, change extension to a custom one...ready.

Additionally it's not portable and it's backups are not portable either (because it saves important information about them in own config).

Having few command line options is an issue, but not a huge one. You can do everything via command line, but you have to generate a config file at runtime. Toucan has the same issue.

To sum up: overall a good tool, probably the best one I've seen. But not for portable use and not for incremental backups. DAR does them better.