Which Portable Software you would Install?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
donald

#1 Post by donald »

Which software have you discovered as a portable application that you couldn't bear being without?

I have found the following applications very useful and only tried them because they were portable. I am now willing to install these portable software to my hard drive.

Firefox
Stickies
OpenOffice.Org
KMPlayer
7Zip
BossKey
Win32Pad
Audacity
Locknote
PStart
Eraser
Mypodder
TrueCrypt
Emsa Save My Work
XnView

I regularly spend some time checking most of the developers sites, and portablefreeware.com along with a few dozen other portable software sites for more software to try.

I would consider purchasing software from a developer who supports a portable mode first before a similar product that can't run portably.

I believe this topic could encourage developers to support portability or a portable mode so please add your favorite portables you might install.

Zach Thibeau

#2 Post by Zach Thibeau »

most of them I do have installed on my laptop though not KMplayer due to the fact they are violating the gpl

Leif

#3 Post by Leif »

thibeaz wrote:most of them I do have installed on my laptop though not KMplayer due to the fact they are violating the gpl
Eh? What exactly do you mean?

Zach Thibeau

#4 Post by Zach Thibeau »

They are using parts of Media Player Classic without acknowledging it. thus violating the GPL license

Island Boy

#5 Post by Island Boy »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_KMPlayer
Controversy

Gabest, original author of Media Player Classic claimed that The KMPlayer was violating the GPL by using GPLed code written by both him and others in a closed-source program. The authors of the KMPlayer have denied this allegation; they maintain that The KMPlayer did not actually include the mentioned GPL code in the executable, and thus was not breaking any GPL rules.Controversially, The KMPlayer was bundled with a GPL component, although when the authors were notified they deleted the GPL breaching part bundled with the program.
....so it should be fine now??

-.-

#6 Post by -.- »

hm i'd install them all except the portable versions work so well lol
and i dont want things in registry if possible

m^(2)

#7 Post by m^(2) »

A machine w/out Total Commander is like computer w/out OS for me: a useless piece of junk.
OK, if good enough, can be used as a stool.

chyron

#8 Post by chyron »

Definitely FSViewer,KMPlayer, Chrome,Softmaker Office 2006(free) and FF3 - as i'm a bit conservative 'bout "repairing what is not broken".
m^(2) wrote:A machine w/out Total Commander is like computer w/out OS for me: a useless piece of junk.
OK, if good enough, can be used as a stool.
Well, so for us old-schoolers is PC w/o FAR :)

donald

The point

#9 Post by donald »

The point is which software have you found that you tried only because it is portable which you would consider installing.

The reason for this thread is to raise the awareness of the use of PORTABLE SOFTWARE as a method of advertisement and a way to bring people to a website, sell services or software, etc.

It is my hope that developers might see that portable software is a way of advertising their talents, skills, services, companies, and spreading their ideas and software to more users.

Specifically the College market is open to any portable software since you are generally not allowed to install software on college computers the only way to try new software out is if it is portable.

Also the only way new software that isn't mainstream will be seen on college machines is if it is portable.

m^(2)

Re: The point

#10 Post by m^(2) »

donald wrote:The point is which software have you found that you tried only because it is portable which you would consider installing.
That's a strange approach...I install software because it does something, if it's not useful for me, why should I care about portability?

[OT]
donald wrote:Specifically the College market is open to any portable software since you are generally not allowed to install software on college computers the only way to try new software out is if it is portable.

Also the only way new software that isn't mainstream will be seen on college machines is if it is portable.
Some have smart admins that give you a lot of right, but wipe all the changes you made as soon as you log off.
[/OT]

donald

on the software

#11 Post by donald »

I currently only try software if it is portable.

Of course the software must serve a purpose and is chosen for a specific task, a browser for browsing, an Office Suite for office work, etc.

The point is not that I would never use install only software, it is that I and a lot of people like me must generally use software portably and that we, meaning the mass of people in school and out who use computers that are not our own are an untapped market and a developing one at that, in that we will be making choices based on what we use now in college to decide what to buy in the future for work or home.

We the people who can be best gotten to with portable software will be buying computer systems, running offices, some will even be in charge of a companies network and software soon.

I want an endorsement of software that you might use non portably since discovering it as a portable application. Software that was endorsed for portability and its intended purpose including software found on portablefreeware.com and other websites dedicated to portable software.

I believe this sort of endorsement could encourage developers to recognize the incredible potential of portable software to allow for the capture of market share, of awareness, and the locked in status that could be achieved with the people who are portable by choice or by the choice of a school IT Admin etc.

If we here on this site, in this thread can come up with the correct argument and the correct endorsement we might win over developers and companies who could develop a portable mode but instead snub the idea as a waste of time.

Currently software developers produce an enormous amount of software that could compete with Micro$oft and other GIANTS but doesn't because schools don't use it they use what is chosen by the people in charge who are getting a deal from Micro$oft and who think that the only software worth deploying is from Micro$oft.

Talking with people who haven't used portable software is like talking to a Micro$oft booster they only know what they have been exposed to.

DEVELOP PORTABLE = DEVELOP MARKET SHARE + AWARENESS & FUTURE MARKET SHARE

Maksim_us

#12 Post by Maksim_us »

Here is my software's pack:
- Total Commander 7
- WinRar 3.80
- WinAmp 5
- K-Lite Codec Pack
- PowerDVD
- IrfanView
- QIP
- Kaspersky Anti Virus 2009
- Opera 9
- The Bat

That's all :D

castman

#13 Post by castman »

Well, I install software not only because it does something, it's since I searched the sources and Identified the application as secure, useful and fast.

The main reason why I look for portability is that I hate registry clutttering and I believe most of us does. Registry is perfect for OS funcionality not standard applications.

Not only registry cluttering is undesirable still file system cluttering and the damn negligence of most of installers when building uninstallers.

However portability most of times doesn't means security. Microsoft never seems available to teach security, only to cash on security.

Edit1: It is hard to see people teaching informatics using high level content and in an easy way. People must have a powerful will to do it.

Edit2: To continue, I would install 7-Zip besides the applications I have no choice other than install.

paulmccollum

Re: Which Portable Software you would Install?

#14 Post by paulmccollum »

i'm gonna start a new thread, similar to this.. please participate.

what Software do you still (need/want) to install, portable or otherwise, and why..?