Audio Player with relative path Library?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
briantm

Audio Player with relative path Library?

#1 Post by briantm »

Do any of the audio layers on this site allow you to set up a library using relative paths?

I've ttried quite a few and none of them did.

Thanks

Brian

joby_toss

#2 Post by joby_toss »

Not even AIMP ?
Path portability: Automatic relative path (eg. ..\..\personal\work.doc)

donald

In the database

#3 Post by donald »

In the database find
DéKiBulle http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1172
DéKiBulle uses relative paths when saving the playlist
The best way to make this work is probably to use a subfolder of the application folder.

1by1 http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=90
1by1is a small and fast music player that plays files by directories, with optional playlist/favorites support.
Then of course you could save playlists manually using a relative path, this would work best if the music was in a subfolder of the player.
You could try Winamp or any other player that supports playlists.

Additionally you could try setting the music library up manually or automatically with a relative path.
First use a subfolder to store a few songs, next save a playlist or a library.
Check the function by switching host computers be sure you are not still using the same drive letter. If this works just add your other music.

If this doesn't work try finding and editing the music Library or playlist manually to a drive relative path, or a file relative path (file relative is shorter and starts with the subfolder or file to be referenced, drive relative just removes the drive letter and semicolon).
I would try using a text editor first like notepad in windows to open the file with (what ever extension it has) and edit/save it.

If the player wont use either relative or folder relative paths you could try using a batch file to rewrite the music library each time you switch drive letters.

You could alternatively use a specific drive letter which you could assign portably using a method available online and I believe still listed in the forums.
Use a drive letter available on most machines the letter A or Z, A because it was the letter for a floppy drive, and Z because it is the last letter in the alphabet.

PM me if you can't find a solution with the info in this post, also if do.
Last edited by donald on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

briantm

#4 Post by briantm »

Thanks for your replies

I've tried AIMP, lovely player, though probably more than I need for the USB stick.

But neither AIMP or DéKiBulle seem to use relative paths for their libraries. When you go to add a folder you get a dialogue to choose it from the host computers file structure and it seems to have the full path of your chosen folder.

It never having dawned on me that playlists were just text files with paths listed, I never thought to edit them. Thats good to know (and should have been obvious to me :oops: ).

But anyway, I just found that you can set the home folder of 1by1 with a relative path in the .ini file. Perfect! :D

If you do know of a way to set relative paths in AIMP though, do let me know

Thanks

B

donald

In the forums

#5 Post by donald »

In The Forums
Fluffy:Teen Spirit ... appears to be a quite functional media center!
Ennovy:Database and settings are stored in the application folder

http://portablefreeware.com/forums/view ... hp?p=16385

donald

on the net

#6 Post by donald »

And On The Net
I need the mp3s to use relative paths ...For example, if I edit the m3u playlist so that it reads:..\Nine Inch Nails\The Downward Spiral\14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hurt.mp3
This works perfectly in all cases (most players in linux are happy with backslashes). the '..' climbs me back up into the mp3s directory so that I can descend back down into the artist/album/ directory.
Foobar and Winamp will use relative paths when saving playlists, but only under certian conditions. The mp3 (or whatever) file must be in the same directory or a subdirectory of the location where the playlist is saved. So anything that would need a "..\" is out.

Your options, from most difficult to least:
1. Code a new foobar plugin that changes how playlists are saved to always use relative paths.

2. Use a search and replace tool to do a global replace of all "S:\mp3s\" instances with "..\". You'd have to redo this periodically whenever you saved new playlists. Foobar FPL files are not plain ascii text, so some tools may not work or bugger them up.

3. Save all your playlists in the root "mp3s" directory.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lof ... 36350.html

Read the three posts by me in this thread as if they were a single post.