Stickies vs PNotes

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Lupo73

Stickies vs PNotes

#1 Post by Lupo73 »

Personally I don't use so much this kind of software, but I'd like to know some opinions about these two good post-it apps. :mrgreen:

donald

Re: Stickies vs PNotes

#2 Post by donald »

Comparing the two is very important to deciding which is for you.

A rundown comparison of both applications and the common functions they share.

Both create notes on the desktop, both can be set to hide the notes indivually, both can be set to show the notes at a specified or a recurring time, both can give a visual alarm and or a audio one (.wav), both have extensive formatting for text, both are skinable.

The statement above is a little misleading because they are not equal in each area.

For me personally Stickies WINS!!! based on functions the programs each have in common, but which Stickies just does better.

Recurrence: Stickies has a fully comprehensive set-up for this more complete than PNotes.
Alert Sounds: Stickies Plays up to two and allows for each Sticky to have the sounds deactivated (on individual note setup)
Visual Alarm: Stickies Allows this to be disabled.(on individual note setup)

Things Stikies does do and PNotes does not do.
Snooze: Stickies can set a snooze function for alarm stickies this default can be set to your preference in minutes.
Networking: Stickies can send and recieve notes with your friends using stickies, and send notes via email.
Create a Sticky from clipboard.
Set Hotkeys: Hotkeys for many functions are easily SET/reset.
Image Stickies: stickies using Images (only) can be made.
Backup: built in a backup of Stickies and settings.
PDA, and Palm Stickies (ShareWare):

How to test function verses function in each, as well as form verses form.

PNotes to set a reoccurring PNote make a new note (either click the taskbar Icon, or use the hotkey (Specified by you just Options, Hotkey Tab)), or open an old one and right click the Title bar, click Adjust, click the Schedule Tab and select from: Once at (specific date and time), and Every day at (specific time), Repeat Every (Days, Hours, Minutes, Seconds)

PNotes uses Military time as a default, and as yet I have failed to change it to twelve hour/am/pm mode.

Stickies to set a reoccurring Sticky either make a new one(either click the taskbar Icon, or use the hotkey (Set by you in Options, Hotkey tab)), or open an old one and either use the hotkey (Ctrl+Shift+O, or Ctrl+Shift+A ) or right click the Title bar, and Hover over Sleep (other options are listed 1-60 specify time unit Minute-month, Until Tommorow (Ctrl+G), and Custom (Ctrl+L)), click Recurring and select from: Daily (specific time), Weekly (specify day/s and time (just one time)), Monthly (number of the day date to use each month or specific weekday and specific week ie; first monday, or second + tuesday), Yearly (specify time, date, month), Every (specify number and time unit (minute-week))

Both note applications have a variable size, title bar, Transparency/ Opacity, and enourmous formatting for a simple note taking application (Right click the note body in stickies, see the toolbar in PNotes).

PNotes offers skins.
Stickies offers Colors & skins.

Both PNotes and Stickies can play a sound and give a visual alert, both play .wav format and allow you to add .wav files (stikies can play 2 different .wav files (Options, Alerts Tab, both Waking and Actions to ... can play a wav file each) PNotes can not to my knowledge play more than one without resetting it between alerts )

Reasons you may prefer PNotes
Military time as a default.
PNotes has a Formatting tool bar on the bottom.
Fewer Options, meaning fewer things to learn.

donald

#3 Post by donald »

How I use Stickies
How I use stickies

I set my stickies to reoccur on a weekly basis, and sometimes on a time limited basis with an end date. (right click the title bar, mouse over sleep, select recurring, select how you woukd like them to reoccur and for how long etc)

I have set all of my stickies by default to play a sound on waking. (Options, Alerts tab, Waking, and Actions to take when Alarm is Triggered) To set the Wav file to play portably I just navigated to it and then backspaced away the unneeded characters G:\PortableApps\Stikies\Revelie.wav becomes just Revelie.wav.
You could use 2 dfferent wav files one for alarms and one for waking with no alarm.

I set my stickies to Alarm on wake, to jiggle, and to flash border, to play sound, and to loop sound.

I recently started addind shortcuts to files, but they are not portable (drag and drop file to create a shortcut) I managed to remove the drive part of the path but then it looks to the desktop. (<<file://G:\Documents\understandingrace.org Project.doc>> would become <<file:Documents\understandingrace.org Project.doc>> by using backspace to remove the difference without breaking the link it would only open the doc if it was on the desktop also)

I have also set internet shortcuts which remind me to go to a specific website, and allow me to do it easily.

I use it to remind me of appointments, to stop doing something, when a tv show is on etc.

Oh and I also use short term sleep with no recurrence for short things like say call someone after they get off of work, or pull something out of the oven, it is a great countdown timer.

RE: Stickies 7beta it adds the ability to backup from the main menu, and Image stickies.
I know there are probably a lot more new features but this is what I noticed. ...

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

A few more notes to compliment Donald's already thorough breakdown:

License? Winner: PNotes
Stickies is freeware, PNotes is GPL'd. How critical this is depends on who you talk to but one important advantage is that Stickies could conceivably stop being freeware but with the sourcecode open and available, PNotes will not.

File Compatibility? Winner: PNotes
PNotes files can be viewed by any RTF viewer (including WordPad, OpenOffice, and MS Word), whereas Stickies have to be "stored" and then exported to be externally viewable. On the upside, all the info in Stickies is saved to one file (stickies.ini) for more elegant backup.

Autosave? Winner: Stickies
PNotes also has an autosave feature, but you must enable it, whereas Stickies saves *absolutely everything* you type as you type it (obviously better).