Suggest swap of uTorrent for uTorrent Portable

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
JohnTHaller

Suggest swap of uTorrent for uTorrent Portable

#1 Post by JohnTHaller »

As uTorrent has issues with path portability (making it far less than a joy to use), I'd humbly suggest the listing be switched to uTorrent Portable. The new 2.0.3 release now handles drive letter updates within uTorrent's own files so that you can use uTorrent as expected (pass a torrent in, run it, move between PCs, etc). One of our developers, Gringoloco, took the time to analyze, code and test a fix that handles uTorrent's FileGuard settings that had been preventing portability.

The release announcement is here:
http://portableapps.com/news/2010-07-23 ... able_2.0.3

Details on the fixes are here:
http://portableapps.com/node/23966
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

Re: Suggest swap of uTorrent for uTorrent Portable

#2 Post by guinness »

But the description does hint at uTorrent Portable.

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

Be careful if you allow utorrent to auto-update: it will create (and leave behind) settings in AppData, making it non-stealth.
I don't think this is an issue with the PoartableApps version. This together with the drive letter switching makes this version the one I use on my usb device.

-.-

#4 Post by -.- »

i've not notice it leaving anything behind in AppData once I've copied files from it to make it portable
manually entering relative paths and having it load torrents into a folder inside it's containing folder seems to work too. I have it set to move torrents/files to .\Downloading then when completed moved to .\completed and it seems fine.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

I'm using v2.2beta and it does create that folder with standard settings, although it does not use them.
Nice to know it suports relative paths (and the main description states that :) ). Have to try that.

-.-

#6 Post by -.- »

hm i did notice it writing to appdata now lol. Think I'll give the portableapps on a shot

webfork

Re: uTorrent ad-supported version coming?

#7 Post by webfork »

I don't know that this is the right thread to add this to, but not sure it deserves it's own thread:

https://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-becom ... ns-120810/

abc

#8 Post by abc »

Related to the earlier link by webfork.
https://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-makes ... lt-120815/

More interesting tidbit:
Update: In a separate forum post BitTorrent responds to accusations that uTorrent has become bloatware. The company is also considering a lighter version of uTorrent, but these plans are not concrete yet.

“We will be removing Apps in a near-future release because they’ve not been a success among our user base worldwide. Similarly, we will evaluate other existing features. We know that not every one of our features is a success, and our goal is to ship a slim base product with only those features users like and use.”

“Beyond this, we hear the calls among many of you for a µ that is smaller and meaner than the current µ. Something like 1.6, 2.0 or similar. Over the past year, we’ve discussed various paths to getting there and are taking this request seriously.”