pending updates to KillBox, AutoClipX, MultiScan

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
atomizer

pending updates to KillBox, AutoClipX, MultiScan

#1 Post by atomizer »

hi all
i'm hoping to attract at least a few donations from my software and, as of this moment, that isn't happening, even after over 3000+ downloads ... so ... i'm moving to the next level where i will be packaging everything in an installer (Inno) and including some clickbank desktop shortcuts and, likely, a conduit toolbar. this will be done as optin or optout - the user will have a choice as to whether they want to install any/all/none of the extras. if not installing, nothing on the system (registry, etc.) will be altered. so to have a portable version it will be necessary to either extract the files from the installer (which uniextract currently can't do with the newest Inno apparently), or run setup without installing the extras > copy the program group files somewhere else > then uninstall, which will leave the OS clean.

if that fails to produce any results, then i may go the shareware route. i will not install anything from a 3rd party without the users knowledge.

AutoClipX is already packaged this way, but there's still a zip version. kind of a pain to prepare and upload 2 versions, so i will be dumping all zips as i create more installers and redirecting the links to the setup.exe. i just wanted to give a head-up before i make the move. any ideas/suggestions are welcome!

webfork

Re: pending updates to KillBox, AutoClipX, MultiScan

#2 Post by webfork »

> that isn't happening, even after over 3000+ downloads

Based on my experience and the results of many software developers who have been on the site over time, donations are unusual.

Admittedly, it seems most highly active freeware projects that seem to be on download.com have some kind of co-install item.

> packaging everything in an installer and including some clickbank desktop shortcuts and, likely, a conduit toolbar

I don't know the specific site policy on this.

Edit: Here we go: "as long as the software itself is ad-free, it should still qualify as freeware, even more so if the software proper can be directly extracted."