Ditto Portable v Ditto native

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

Ditto Portable v Ditto native

#1 Post by webfork »

A user on the Ditto official entry pointed out that there are advantages to using the PA version of Ditto. I don't have Vista or 7 to test this on, but I was going to write this post asking someone to verify this.

However, I noticed that PA version runs two programs: Ditto.exe and DittoPortable that take up 12 megs of RAM (6.3 & 5.7 megs respectively) on my WinXP SP3 system. Meanwhile, the natively portable ZIP program takes up almost half at 6.2 megs. That's a pretty significant difference in order to gain Vista and 7 compatibility.

Suggestions?

JohnTHaller

Re: Ditto Portable v Ditto native

#2 Post by JohnTHaller »

I'm unsure what the user is referring to as the classic installer installs just fine on Windows 7 x64 for me. The standard portable zip works on the same PC as well (though it loses any paths as you move PCs of course). Perhaps the user mistakenly unzipped the portable version to Program Files? That's not recommended for any portable apps due to the fact that some take their cue from that to think they are local (Sumatra PDF did last time I checked) on all Windows versions, and Windows Vista/7 prevents apps from updating their settings if they are in Program Files. That would be my guess. So I think it's ok to leave the listing as-is.

As for why this particular PAF app is using a bit more memory: It's using a classic-style PortableApps.com launcher (a custom launcher coded for each app) instead of the INI-configured PortableApps.com Launcher, which is why DittoPortable.exe uses about 6MB of RAM while running instead of a around 800KB as PA.c Launcher-based apps use. Eventually, we'll probably update most apps to it as it adds lots of other features as well.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

Re: Ditto Portable v Ditto native

#3 Post by webfork »

JohnTHaller wrote:Perhaps the user mistakenly unzipped the portable version to Program Files?
Yeah, I wish users would post stuff in forums for this kind of thing as it makes it a bit easier to respond to in a clearer way.
JohnTHaller wrote:Eventually, we'll probably update most apps to it as it adds lots of other features as well.
Well, Ditto's not the most accessible copy-paste improvement software here on the site, but its definitely one of my favorites; I'm always annoyed with any computer I'm on that doesn't have it. Any updates/improvements on it would be great.