SmartEditWriter (formerly Atomic Scribbler)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

SmartEditWriter (formerly Atomic Scribbler)

#1 Post by webfork »

I'm really excited about this program going freeware as I was considering buying it a few months ago. Although primarily sold as a novel-writing program, there's a lot going on here. There's a research component, nested documents, and the word repetition options in the editor are outstanding and can improve anyone's writing. I see frequent ads for the "Grammarly" tool (which I've tested and don't care for), but this is something that can improve your writing above standard spelling/grammar tools.

The program could have pulled out half of the included analysis functionality for the freeware version and I'd still be posting about it.

Feature summary (from the website)
  • Planning & Research - Store images & links to websites — all in a handy Research section that sits right next to you as you write. Create character profiles, outlines & notes as you work.
  • Write Scene by Scene - No more 100,000 word Microsoft documents. Write your novel one scene or chapter at a time. Drag and drop scenes inside your Document until it’s just the way you want it.
  • Edit, Polish, Improve - Identify word and phrase over-use, monitor adverbs, crutch words & clichés, improve sentence structure & punctuation — all using SmartEdit’s Editor Toolbar.
Other notes

* Import and export options: Word, ODT (OpenOffice/LibreOffice), RTF, and TXT
* The acronyms check (for things like "IBM") appears to just check for content that's in all caps, but that's still a step up from any recent program I've tested.

Websites:

Blog post about free status: https://www.smart-edit.com/Blog/Post/Sm ... erNowFree/
Mirror: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-to ... bler.shtml - still lists the commercial price.

Steps

1. Download and uniextract
2. Launch SmartEditProjectManager.exe (not SmartEditWriter.exe)

Status: not portable. \AppData\Roaming\Atomic Scribbler and also requires selecting a static project folder.

Related:

* MatnPardaz word / phrase frequency counter
Last edited by webfork on Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (better wording)

Midas

Re: SmartEditWriter (formerly Atomic Scribbler)

#2 Post by Midas »

FTR, SmartEdit Writer is currently v7.8 released 2020-02-25 (changelog at https://www.smart-edit.com/Writer/Details/ChangeLog/).

Also, a 60-page PDF user guide for SmartEdit Writer v7.5 is freely available at www.smart-edit.com /Files/SmartEdit_Writer_user_manual_v7_5.pdf.

webfork

Re: SmartEditWriter (formerly Atomic Scribbler)

#3 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:38 am v7.8 released
Good to see they're continuing to work on it despite part of the project going freeware (the Word plugin is still paid). As to the manual, I'll definitely be digging into that this week, thanks.