FileOrganiser

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Ennovy

FileOrganiser

#1 Post by Ennovy »

To replace Windows Explorer:
Replacement File Explorer. On restart returning to where you were. (AND MUCH MORE!)
More accessible 'find' or search function.
Camera and USB pen detection. autodetects folder where your photos are.
Info button, to find out where all the disk space is used.
Extensive, flexible file renaming. (To make searches easier in the future!!)
Save file/ folder structure to a text file, so this can be printed.
Save to an html document your favourite internet links. (from Internet Explorer) Thsi can then be uploaded to your Web site.
List of main features: http://www.thomaswolsey.com/software/jam/index.htm

Settings are stored in an .INI file. (v1.126 personal version)
Select configuration to change the location of the .INI file

Download is a single executable: http://www.thomaswolsey.com/software/ja ... _1-126.zip

Kranor

#2 Post by Kranor »

Yes it is portable (Correction Program folder is not being allowed to close, more investigation needed) but I feel that there are far better programs out there. It is a good start to a program but at the moment has a 'messy' feel to it.

nycjv321

#3 Post by nycjv321 »

@Kranor

Your quote never anwsers itself ;)

Those who envy the enlighted will one day become those who are enlightened (or atleast come close to it) if all else fails ignorance is bliss...

Hope you understood that... well yea outright theft or false claiming of code is bad but a little envy was never a bad thing ;)

I am Baas

Re: FileOrganiser 1.126 personal version

#4 Post by I am Baas »

FileOrganiser is @ V1.41

http://www.sotdwp.co.uk/fileorganiser/

Create an 'organiser.ini' file in the C:\...User\My Documents (hidden). Could not change this behaviour.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Create an 'organiser.ini' file in the C:\...User\My Documents (hidden). Could not change this behaviour.
Also seems to write "FileOrganiserFavourites" folder to \User.

Tested on XP SP3 and would definitely avoid.
  • * Very unintuitive
    * The program doesn't resize well. Reducing it below about 800 wide makes it freak out and you *can't* reduce it vertically past a certain level. Even stranger is trying to use "View - Set size 800 x 600".
    * Uses 17 megs of RAM
    * Icons are a little blurry and have kind of a Windows 3.1 look
Anyway, not seeing a compelling reason to try working out the odd interface. There aren't any advantages over other available file manager options.

The real mystery was the exiftool program, which looks fantastic, but I couldn't seem to get working properly in FileOrganiser. As a command-line tool, there was a basic breakdown that shows up in the terminal window, but none of that seemed to work as stated. I'm going to download the latest version from the official site and see what I can come up with.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:The real mystery was the exiftool program, which looks fantastic, but I couldn't seem to get working properly
I went looking for a front end and found a great one, but I thought it sounded familiar.