DoNotSpy78

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
rbon

DoNotSpy78

#1 Post by rbon »

DoNotSpy78 v1.0.0.0 is a tool for protect your privacy from Microsoft.
This tool is a version tailored for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, the major version called DoNotSpy10 works only with Windows 10.
This program is freeware but, unfortunately, it is present as installer (build with InnoSetup).

DoNotSpy78:
- web site: http://pxc-coding.com/portfolio/donotspy78/
- direct download installer (ad-supported): http://pxc-coding.com/?did=75297&vp_edd ... w_download

How to obtain the portable version:
1. download the installer from official site: http://pxc-coding.com/?did=75297&vp_edd ... w_download
2. download Universal Extractor v1.6.1.2018 koros mod by PortableWares: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wmvbk ... al.paf.exe
3. extract the installer:
-- You obtain the folder 'DoNotSpy78-1.0.0.0-Setup' that contains these folders: {app}, {group}, {tmp} and folder 'embedded' and other files.
-- Delete all subsolders except {app} and rename this folder as 'DoNotSpy78' (or other name that You like)
-- finally launch the file 'DoNotSpy78.exe'

b.t.w.
with this extraction the ad-supported feature is not yet present.

This is the screenshot of program:
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

smaragdus

Re: DoNotSpy78

#2 Post by smaragdus »

@rbon
Thanks. Is DoNotSpy78 portable and stealth? Where does it save its settings? You mean that the adware is only in the installer and the extracted program is clean of ads?
In your screen-shot I see "red - better know what you do" and "Disable Windows Defender" is tinted in red. This surprises me and I get suspicious, I think that "Disable Windows Defender" should be as green as the lushest grass.

rbon

#3 Post by rbon »

smaragdus wrote:@rbon
Thanks. Is DoNotSpy78 portable and stealth? Where does it save its settings? You mean that the adware is only in the installer and the extracted program is clean of ads?
My test says: portable but not stealth
1. portable: I have moved it to USB and it works again
2. stealth: inside Registry it change value on two keys:
--> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\DoNotSpy78_RASAPI32\
--> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Tracing\DoNotSpy78_RASMANCS\
values changed for these keys:
ConsoleTracingMask
EnableAutoFileTracing
EnableConsoleTracing
EnableFileTracing
FileDirectory
FileTracingMask
MaxFileSize

It writes the file: DoNotSpy78.exe.log inside: C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0\UsageLogs
And seems me because I have tried to create a Restore Point.
(Nothing writed on 'C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_64\System')

Q. Where does it save its settings?
A. I'm not a Windows expert so I think that this program writes on registry (changing some keys value)

This portable version do not display anymore ad-aware
smaragdus wrote:@rbon
In your screen-shot I see "red - better know what you do" and "Disable Windows Defender" is tinted in red. This surprises me and I get suspicious, I think that "Disable Windows Defender" should be as green as the lushest grass.
I do not know, I think because the programmer thinks to security.

In conclusion this is a Windows Tweak and it is normal that it writes on registry and I do not know other portable programs that protect privacy agains Microsoft.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

rbon wrote:I do not know other portable programs that protect privacy agains Microsoft.
It's true we don't have anything for Win8 or Win10, but two programs that I've tested:
Antispy is reportedly coming out with a update for Win8/10 (currently in beta).

smaragdus

#5 Post by smaragdus »

@rbon
Thank you for your detailed response. No doubt this tool can be very useful. Yet I don't think that a Windows tweaker needs to save seittings to Windows registry, I suppose that most developers simply do not care for portability.

rbon

#6 Post by rbon »

@webfork
thanks for the info.

@smaragdus
You are right, maybe someone can create a yaP launcher.