PDF 2 WORD Converter

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
AlephX

PDF 2 WORD Converter

#1 Post by AlephX »

Hi!

I have found this application which converts complex PDF documents into Word Documents.

I tested the application and worked good, even if the images are not seen by Open Office...

[EDIT] converts also images, visible only under Word

I cannot test the portability... but it seems to have its INI file.

HelloPdf Home Page:
http://www.hellopdf.com/index.php

DL page
http://www.hellopdf.com/download.php
Last edited by AlephX on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlephX

#2 Post by AlephX »

Portability...
It does not write settings in the registry, even if it is not stealth (MRU).
I cannot check if it wrote anything on the system folder, but I don´t think so. The settings are saved in the local folder.

Sorry, at the moment I can not check it better!

I would enjoy opinions!
:D

chezduong

#3 Post by chezduong »

I just installed and converted 2 documents using this software via JauntePE and the two registry keys that it wrote to are the below:
  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\WinEn]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Cached]
I guess that the second one cannot be avoided, but not sure for the first one.

It also does something to the C:\Windows\Systems folder because JauntePE creates these folders within the application folder, but they are empty.

Finally, the conversion itself could be improved. I converted a Blackbery manual in PDF and nearly none of the text came out...I also converted a complex pdf with graphics, text and difficult layout and it did a pretty good job...not great, not perfect, but a pretty good job.

Yucca

#4 Post by Yucca »

In addition to a couple of registry keys, it writes an ini file to the Windows/system32 folder.

Also, when I tested it on a one-page document containing one image, it did not pick up the image and some of the text had significant white spaces inserted between words for no reason I could understand.

This looks like it has promise, but it is not yet portable and does not really work sufficiently to be used seriously. Its functionality would be a problem even if we could make it really portable.

Yucca

AlephX

#5 Post by AlephX »

@ chezduong

Thank you for testing it. I guess that the registry entries are not settings. The problem is that it is not stealth... and moreover...

@ Yucca

Thanks for testing too! :D

pdf2word,1.INI is the name of this .ini file. Thank you for finding it. I tried to move it to the app folder, but -worse than evil- the app wanted to connect the home site in order to get a "free code". I dislike this behavior in free applications...

I understand that you find this application not "perfect", but, considering the panorama of the free PDF applications today, I find that this is the only program able to deal with this kind of conversion. I have seen other applications, but, apart from the enormous size and registry-use, they are free versions of commercial apps, which place intentional typos in the results... So I liked this "Not so big" app that makes a relatively good job.

But, also because hidden behaviors, I agree: this app has no place in the collection...

Thx,
AlephX

Cornflower

#6 Post by Cornflower »

I so wanted this one to be portable, because it does do what others don't.

As well as AlephX's and others' comments, I wonder about the nConvertTines in the WinEn registry key. Does something happen after you convert x documents?

I'm keeping it because it does what other freeware doesn't, and in my tests does it well, but I agree, it should not be part of TPFC.