WinMerge Portable 2.6.12

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
USB_Kx

WinMerge Portable 2.6.12

#1 Post by USB_Kx »

More info here

http://portableapps.com/news/2008-01-21 ... ble_2.6.12
WinMerge Portable is a free file and folder comparing tool for Windows with lots of great features:
Visual differencing and merging of text files
Flexible editor with syntax highlighting, line numbers and word-wrap
Handles DOS, UNIX and MAC text file formats
Difference pane shows current difference in two vertical panes
Highlights differences inside lines in file compare
Regular Expression based file filters in directory compare allow excluding and including items
Creates patch files

redllar

#2 Post by redllar »

Yes, script kiddies. You too can write a little bit of text and then lay claim to the full feature set of other's works. It's that easy. And PortableApps.com will make sure not to mention the original devs anywhere in any of their news releases, making it look as if you actually did some work. Pointy headed managers unite! You have found your niche amongst all of those creative types. Hurry before someone else is calling your favorite-app-that-you-didn't-write theirs. Don't be left out. The rush is on. Screw the original intent of open source. Promote yourself at the expense of others now. They don't care. They were stupid enough to open source their work after all. Why even give them the slightest bit of credit in our news releases. Hoorah for us! We wrote some text. No, we didn't create the launcher. That was also done by someone else that we didn't give credit to. Hoorah for us! We have no talent. BUT! HOORAH! FOR! US!

Of course I realize that all of you users don't give a damn. So pardon me for the interruption. Please continue with your illegal downloading now.

JohnW

#3 Post by JohnW »

I enjoy a good rant now and then.
And this was a good rant!

But was there any merit in it ? I think not.

1. The portable site clearly points to the WinMerge site. Not trying to take undeserved credit.
2. WinMerge is Open Source.
3. What illegal downloads ??? Absolute nonsense.
4. Whilst it is true that there is less talent in providing a portable app than an original program, I fail to see why that activity should be condemned.

Still ... thanks again for the rant.

USB_Kx

#4 Post by USB_Kx »

redllar wrote:Yes, script kiddies. You too can write a little bit of text and then lay claim to the full feature set of other's works. It's that easy. And PortableApps.com will make sure not to mention the original devs anywhere in any of their news releases, making it look as if you actually did some work. Pointy headed managers unite! You have found your niche amongst all of those creative types. Hurry before someone else is calling your favorite-app-that-you-didn't-write theirs. Don't be left out. The rush is on. Screw the original intent of open source. Promote yourself at the expense of others now. They don't care. They were stupid enough to open source their work after all. Why even give them the slightest bit of credit in our news releases. Hoorah for us! We wrote some text. No, we didn't create the launcher. That was also done by someone else that we didn't give credit to. Hoorah for us! We have no talent. BUT! HOORAH! FOR! US!

Of course I realize that all of you users don't give a damn. So pardon me for the interruption. Please continue with your illegal downloading now.

If you haven't done so yet, I think it would have been more appropriate if you had posted not only under my thread, but also on the page where the link I provided above points to.
Otherwise, being the thread starter, I find your post quite offensive.

"We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain
the success of those we don't like ?"
—Jean Cocteau

nedurnan

WinMerge 2.6.14 Binaries

#5 Post by nedurnan »

Not to minimalize PortableApps.com's contributions to the portable freeware community, but isn't WinMerge already essentially portable? It's got a couple of system DLL dependencies, but these will work from the app folder as well. WinMerge.org already offers a compressed archive of the binary files:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/winmer ... 14-exe.zip
or
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/winmer ... .14-exe.7z

Here's an excerpt from their installation help page:
5.3. Installing from an Archive

WinMerge is pretty much independent from other system components. It doesn't integrate tightly to Windows or use lots of dlls. WinMerge.exe itself is dependent of MFC71.dll , MSVCR71.dll and MSVCP71.dll in addition to some system DLLs. So if mentioned DLLs already are installed to system, only WinMerge.exe is needed to run WinMerge. Mentioned DLL files are available also as Runtimes-package to download.
[Note] Note

WinMerge 2.6.0 and later versions require a new version of runtime libraries. When updating from older WinMerge versions using archive files, new runtime files form Runtime-package are needed.

Archive files have correct folder structure. WinMerge should be unzipped preserving folder structure to destination folder, for example C:\Program Files\. Root folder created has name /WinMerge-version, for example /WinMerge-2.6.0. This folder can be renamed or files copied to other folder (preserving the folder structure!).

After unzipping files WinMerge is ready to run! Shell Integration and Archive Integration may need additional steps (see below).

I've been using WinMerge itself as a portable app for quite a while now and haven't noticed any issues. Perhaps it should be considered for posting here along with the existing X-WinMerge entry and the proposed WinMergePortable entry.

redllar

#6 Post by redllar »

Otherwise, being the thread starter, I find your post quite offensive.
My apologies for not only this late reply but for offending you. My post was not meant as a personal attack on you, but that's still no excuse.
If you haven't done so yet, I think it would have been more appropriate if you had posted not only under my thread, but also on the page where the link I provided above points to.
Go over to PortableApps? No thanks. Script kiddies + open source zealots + no talent = too much of a bad thing in my book. I really just should have kept my mouth shut and again I apologize for attaching my rant to your thread.
1. The portable site clearly points to the WinMerge site. Not trying to take undeserved credit.
2. WinMerge is Open Source.
3. What illegal downloads ??? Absolute nonsense.
4. Whilst it is true that there is less talent in providing a portable app than an original program, I fail to see why that activity should be condemned.
I had a long rebuttal all written out for you, but to be honest, I don't care anymore. I no longer want to be a part of this "portable community" with people like Haller and McCue et. al. even remotely associated with it. The stink of it all has finally gotten to me for good.

USB_Kx, my apologies again for hijacking your thread.