Translate.Net - open source translation software

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
vikingdread

Translate.Net - open source translation software

#1 Post by vikingdread »

I just ran into this today and tried it out. It requires the .NET Framework, but that comes in a portable version too nowadays.

From the site: "Translate.Net is free and open source client to many translating services available online (translators, monolingual and bilingual dictionaries).
Already supported 17 services, 35 languages, 1352 translations directions.
GUI localized to French, Chinese, Ukrainian and Russian
."

I just installed (it's an INNO-setup package) to my local harddisk, copied the files to my USB-stick and uninstalled from harddisk.

Total size: 2MB

It runs fine for me, but I haven't checked for registry entries etc.

The cool part about this software is that it uses online translation services, so there is no local dictionary that eats storage space.

Site: Translate.Net

spaztastic

#2 Post by spaztastic »

I have Wikipedia on my portable hard drive. The entire Wikipedia site. Takes up so much space but it automatically updates and is very useful. I'd almost prefer a translation program that didn't require internet.

phalos

#3 Post by phalos »

Thanks much!

Note: This is MACHINE TRANSLATION

Always good to find MT frontends.
Last edited by phalos on Mon May 05, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

vikingdread

#4 Post by vikingdread »

spaztastic wrote:I have Wikipedia on my portable hard drive. The entire Wikipedia site. Takes up so much space but it automatically updates and is very useful. I'd almost prefer a translation program that didn't require internet.
Oooh, nothing beats a good old dose of sarcasm on a monday, ey Spaztastic?

Well, don't you worry, I do use a portable translation program with local dictionaries (LingoPad).

It sure is nice to be able to lookup stuff without having an Internet connection, but I do think it's cool to have an app that accesses different online services to give me more info than a local dictionary could.

Bet you are not a fan of Clickster either... :twisted:

spaztastic

#5 Post by spaztastic »

I use LingoPad as well. I don't mind Clickster but I prefer local database programs because some of the computer that I repair do not have internet or do not have resident protection so accessing the internet can present a security threat. Also, my first post wasn't meant to be interpreted as sarcasm. I was simply stating a fact. If I was trying to present you with sarcasm, you would know it. Trust me :)

Kosher-X

#6 Post by Kosher-X »

By the way, does that Lingoware have a portuguese-english dictionary and vice-versa?
I tried to search for it on google, but there's too much references and some of them say it does not.

spaztastic

#7 Post by spaztastic »

Taken from the Official LingoPad Website:

Features

* German ↔ English dictionaries
* further dictionaries (e.g. Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese, Turkish, Kurdish, Norwegian) available on clicking Online update in the Dictionaries menu
* import of own dictionaries possible (Unicode ready)
* freely definable user dictionaries
* wordlist editor
* search for beginning, ending and middle part of a word (*ending or *middle*)
* search for collocations
* activation possible with a customizable HotKey - automatic search for a tagged word or word from the clipboard
* list of latest search words
* download on memory stick possible
* offline use
* phonetic transcription for many English words
* user interface in German and English
* direct links to look up words on Wikipedia and various search engines