TextMaker Viewer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
BigD

TextMaker Viewer

#1 Post by BigD »

I haven't had much time to look at this free program in detail, but RegShot and RegScanner showed no unexpected registry changes. TextMaker Viewer from http://www.officeviewers.com/ allows you to open, view and print all common word processing formats - useful for Word .doc and especially OpenDocument .odt documents which are becoming more common.

I installed it to an arbitrary folder by applying Universal Extractor to the downloaded setup executable, then deleted all the language files I didn't need. The 9MB TMViewer.exe can be shrunk down to about 2MB by applying UPX.

Hope someone finds this useful.

dot

#2 Post by dot »

Thanks a lot for mentioning this. Applied everything as told by you and works like a charm. And thanks for mentioning that trick with UPX! Always happy to learn something new! ;-) For me, this is a keeper, as I don't have M$ Office installed, probably will never install it, and also don't want to install the M$ Word Viewer, which is, OF COURSE, bigger than TMViewer and, OF COURSE, doesn't support the free document formats.

RegShot registered quite a few changes, though (I executed TMViewer and opened one document, which I shouldn't probably have done):

Keys deleted:3
Keys added:3
Values deleted:8
Values added:17
Values modified:38
Files [attributes?] modified:5
Total changes:74

But UndoReg, evaluating RegShot's output, only lists 3 registry values for undoing.

Maybe someone else can check the relevancy of the changes and how TMViewer behaves with regard to portability. I mean, if its just about 3 registry entries this tool could be considered portable.

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

This is a really great app. It even supports Unicode quite nicely!

Unfortunately, it writes settings to C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\SoftMaker. I can't find any way to make it read/write settings to the application (EXE) folder.

dot

#4 Post by dot »

Hmm... took me some time now to find that entry, Softmaker, you mentioned. Found it in the "My Documents" folder, that I use on a different partition (moved there probably with TweakUI). Got so many partitions here with all kinds of folders distributed across them, sometimes it's hard to find stuff. ;-)

Kea

#5 Post by Kea »

As I couldn't extract the new version 2008 with Universal Extractor, I tried another method.

1. I started the setup and waited for all files to be extracted.
2. When the new setup window appeared (asking where to install), I opened Windows Explorer and in C:\Documents and Settings\my_user_name\...\Temp\ i opened the folder 7zSC.tmp.
3. I copied all files from that folder to a new folder on my memory stick.
4. Then I went back to the installer and cancelled the installation. Now the temp folder was deleted.
5. In the new folder on my memory stick I deleted all the the language files (*.hyn and *.dwr) I don't need, leaving only the files for English and Swedish.
6. Finally i deleted some other files (lizenz.dat, index_de.htm, liesmich.txt, tmv4.reg and tmview_de.tmd).

Then I started TextMaker Viewer. It works perfect and I can't find any entries from TMV in Documents and settings or unexpected entries in the registry.

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss »

This is a very good program.

It creates at launch

Code: Select all

x:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\SoftMaker\Settings\tmvconfig.ini
It adds "[SoftMaker]" line to "%system%\win.ini".
No relevant registry entries.

webfork

Re: TextMaker Viewer

#7 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: this program is no longer maintained by the SoftMaker folks (the website link just points to freeoffice.com) but you can still download the 2010 version from Softpedia.