LunaScape6 - web browser

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Tertius

LunaScape6 - web browser

#1 Post by Tertius »

From the website:
LUNASCAPE is the world's first and only triple engine browser. It has been downloaded over 20 million times and it's available globally in 12 languages. Try it for yourself the new kind of speed and versatility.
http://www.lunascape.tv/

It has a portable installation option and seems to keep itself well-contained. A good option for those who would like to quickly test a website in different browsers.

joby_toss

Re: LunaScape6

#2 Post by joby_toss »

System Requirements

v.6.2 ~: Windows XP SP1 or later/Vista/7/Server 2003/Server 2008
~ v.6.1: Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/Server 2003/Server 2008
Memory: 1GB (recommended 2GB or more)
Internet Explorer 6 or later

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Tertius wrote:A good option for those who would like to quickly test a website in different browsers.
Very true -- thanks.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Portability:

Tested 6.3.4 on XP SP2
Requires Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, Server 2003
Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher

I was testing this without internet and the setup process requires internet connection so I couldn't use the Gecko and WebKit portions.

Writes files to
  • C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-21-1177238915-362288127-725345543-500
Although that might be because it calls up IE to do a latest version check, I dunno.

Writes
  • HKCU\Software\Classes\Lunascape2.LunascapeAPI
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Lunascape2.LunascapeAPI
    and about 30 entries to
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface
Writes a ton of crap to the registry, including some stuff that looks like settings. I don't think this is portable. A full log of changes is available if anyone requests.

Notes on the software itself

This is a very impressive program and should not be considered just a nifty "tri-browser" concept. This is a strong push to move into Opera's web browser territory. Its very customizable, has mouse gestures, has a separate toolbar window, a scrolling feed, and Luna-based services. It does not have an email client, and instead seems to tie into the default client. Comes with several nice skins called "designs". I really liked all of them.

I really dig the multiple search buttons for amazon, ebay, google, etc. and you can even associate a web page with a specific engine.

Speed note:

At startup a redering engine note comes up:
"Lunascape implements the latest version of the Gecko Engine, which we optimize and fine-tune to offer improved capabilities, functionality, usability and faster JavaScript operation."
I haven't verified this, but if true, that might be a strong reason to use the software.

Tertius

#5 Post by Tertius »

webfork,

My machine:
XP SP3

I did notice the same changes, however these
Writes files to
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-21-1177238915-362288127-725345543-500
are related to using the Trident engine of Internet Explorer

The registry entries I found are not related to settings but registering com interfaces. I ran the program on a clean machine under a limited account, so that it couldn't write those entries (which it couldn't), and the program runs just fine. Not sure why the programmer(s) wanted to register these so bad if they are not even required. All settings are contained within subfolders of the application.

The newer system requirements
System Requirements

v.6.2 ~: Windows XP SP1 or later/Vista/7/Server 2003/Server 2008
~ v.6.1: Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/Server 2003/Server 2008
Memory: 1GB (recommended 2GB or more)
Internet Explorer 6 or later

are almost entirely due to the requirements of Firefox (Gecko) and Chrome (Webkit) (2000/xp or later) and ram requirements seem strictly based on hypothetical assumptions of performance when loading the three engines (I've not yet tested on a machine sub-1gb of ram but will try to get a hold of one).
"Lunascape implements the latest version of the Gecko Engine, which we optimize and fine-tune to offer improved capabilities, functionality, usability and faster JavaScript operation."
webfork, it does use the gecko and webkit engines. And does so rather well. In fact, what I like a lot is the ability to install addons for Firefox in Lunascape when using the Gecko engine. Haven't tried to see if Safari or Chrome extensions/addons can be used when using the webkit engine though.

There is a standalone download that includes all the engines without having to download them after the installation. Naturally it is larger.

The one problem I have is I am unable to use Keepass to auto-type passwords into fields. It seems that Lunascape hooks the typing and redirects it. Need to troubleshoot this more and possibly contact the author for changes if necessary.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Tertius wrote:what I like a lot is the ability to install addons for Firefox in Lunascape when using the Gecko engine. Haven't tried to see if Safari or Chrome extensions/addons can be used when using the webkit engine though.
That's critical. Not making add-ons like NoScript and Adblock Plus available is like when Netscape put out a dual-engine browser but didn't allow some plugins. Its basically asking for failure.

I posted something to the LunaScape forums about the portability status.
Last edited by webfork on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (clarity)

freakazoid

#7 Post by freakazoid »

I'll have to keep my eye on this browser! Thanks for posting about it.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

New version out 6.5.1. Still no indication they've added portability.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

In the event this is interesting to someone ...

Version 6.8.5 came out last month. Some notes:
  • A post from back in 2010 seemed to indicate that there was a portable installation mode, but it wasn't clear if they understood what exactly that means.
  • The tri-engine thing initially sounded cool for web development, but currently I'm just using Firefox plugins IE Tab and Open In Chrome.
  • Some of the features listed on their page are look interesting. There is (purportedly) add-on support or individual browsers, which could be nice for combining all the good browser goodies into one place.
  • Softpedia's entry has a few other feature notes.
  • It's a Japanese company putting this together (from Wikipedia article), but it's not clear where they're going with it.

Midas

Re: LunaScape & Sleipnir

#10 Post by Midas »

Does anyone know how LunaScape compares to Sleipnir? (s. http://www.sleipnirbrowser.com/ & http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... php?t=2544)