PicoConverter

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
technicolordreamcoat

PicoConverter

#1 Post by technicolordreamcoat »

It is a powerful unit converter utility, that can convert more than 1,600 various units of measure in 26 categories. It comes with an easy and intuitive design that allow easy conversion while you type and quick swap between base and destinated unit. You can save frequently used conversion pairs as favorites and it remember your recently used conversion pairs too. It supports decimal format or scientific notation and able to display up to 15 decimal places. It can detect if you're running from a removable drive like USB thumbdrive and can save settings according if you desire. A must-have toolkit for anyone who need to convert measurement frequently or occasionally.
Currently available on Win95/98, WinME, WinNT, Win2000 and WinXP.
http://picofactory.com/software/picoconverter

stacoma

How's this match up with Converber?

#2 Post by stacoma »

Interesting...how's this match up with Converber?

technicolordreamcoat

#3 Post by technicolordreamcoat »

there is a comparison chart, unfortunately pico is not included yet
however i think that pico converter is quite powerful for its size (31k)

chart:
http://www.xyntec.com/converbervs.htm

Andrew Lee

PicoConverter

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

Application name: PicoConverter

Date tested: 2007-02-13

Reason: Writes settings to the registry ("favorite conversions").

lautrepay

Re: PicoConverter

#5 Post by lautrepay »

This little app was updated in 2009 to v.1.0.1.
Its features are more than enough for the 35 kb download.
Complety portable when running from a Usb drive, is not portable when you run it locally (configuration files are stored in app data/roaming/UnitConverter), unless you choose not to save settings ('Options', uncheck 'Save Settings Upon Exit').
Very good option for occasional conversions.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

stacoma wrote:Interesting...how's this match up with Converber?
Good question.

In terms of database: Converber has "easy conversions between 1324 various units of measure in 38 categories. Converber converts everything from length and force to flow and temperature." Versus this program's 1,600 unit conversions. So Pico looks a bit better here. Its tiny and has a favorites menu, which seems important.

Converber meanwhile is customizable, has a better interface, and lets you edit your conversions. They also evidently put out a version for the iPhone so to some extent its cross-platform. Its a bit larger at 735k.

They both look pretty good.

Edit: yeah Converber has a favorites menu. Oops.

Edit2: Used this opportunity to update the Converber entry, which has a lot more features than I realized.

spicydog

#7 Post by spicydog »

If I may add, Converber includes also an unbeatable currency converter.

PicoConverter does not handle currencies (but Pico also offers a specific currency converter freeware).

lautrepay

#8 Post by lautrepay »

spicydog wrote:... (but Pico also offers a specific currency converter freeware).
That works very well and it's a 18 kb download: http://www.picofactory.com/free/softwar ... converter/.
Between, does anybody know how to add a custom unit in Converber to convert to and from the other units of the category?

spicydog

#9 Post by spicydog »

That works very well and it's a 18 kb download: http://www.picofactory.com/free/softwar ... converter/.
Yes it does indeed but the amount of currencies is limited, or at least the currencies I was in the need of, were unavailable.
Between, does anybody know how to add a custom unit in Converber to convert to and from the other units of the category?
If you really need to do that I guess that you could mod the Conversions.ini file to reflect your needs.

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

Has anyone tried the units/currency converter on OpalCalc?
I can't live without it now! :)

spicydog

#11 Post by spicydog »

joby_toss wrote:Has anyone tried the units/currency converter on OpalCalc?
Thanks JT, I agree it is really a great app, I tried it and liked it A LOT but regretfully out of the 30+ available currencies the one I was interested in (that I frequently use) is not included/updated/supported, so I switched over to Converber that handles also a bunch of other conversions so I don't need to write the "AS" (and the currency codes) required by OpalCalc... Getting lazier everyday :mrgreen:

lautrepay

#12 Post by lautrepay »

spicydog wrote:If you really need to do that I guess that you could mod the Conversions.ini file to reflect your needs.
Thanks, SD! I tried several times with the "Conversion Editor" tool and got nothing. 10 minutes editing the ini file and now I've got all that I wanted. :D
joby_toss wrote:Has anyone tried the units/currency converter on OpalCalc?
It's wonderful! (Not more than the 3D fractals, however). I use only one .Net app, perhaps OpalCalc will be the second... Thank you!