Chords - MIDI playback and sheet music notation editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
dot

Chords - MIDI playback and sheet music notation editor

#1 Post by dot »

Another goody from the Italian portable apps website: www.winpenpack.com:

Chords

Description (translated): music notation editor for the Midi format. Permits to write easily music by inserting the notes on the lines with the mouse. It's possible to edit several voices and listen to them together. Each track can be separately configured with a different musical instrument.

Homepage: http://www.chordsoftware.com/ Screenshot: http://www.chordsoftware.com/ss.html

Description on the homepage:

Free MIDI playback and sheet music notation editor. Oriented for guitars, it shows chord and scale diagrams. It also allows adding chords and scales to sheet music. It supports multiple track playback.

Key Feature List

* Windows sheet music editor and player
* Compose music in sheet notation, play it via the Generial MIDI instrument set
* View scale and chord diagrams, add them to sheet music
* Multiple track sheet music playback
* Sheet editor also displays in guitar tablature form
* Create Chord Progressions by adding preset chords to sheet music
* Select groups of notes and move with copy and paste
* Set note properties such as sharp,flag,dotted and others

Tips on Using this Software

Chords is not engraving software, it is designed for MIDI playback.
Software has no installer, place exe anywhere and run it.

AlephX

#2 Post by AlephX »

The program looks nice, simple and easy. I like it, but I am not a professional...

It writes about 70 values in the registry... Maybe they are not critical settings (MRU, cryptography service, midi device, and many others) but they are more than the normal amount.

The program tries to call home too... maybe it depends on the compiler the author used...

Maybe Andrew, Fluffy or DarkBee can consider it as accettable...
I don´t know...

dot

#3 Post by dot »

Good you point that out. Hadn't checked this one's behaviour, as I quite trust the Italian site. I did find too, that often the many registry changes detected by RegShot are innocuous and mostly related even to other programs that react to the new program, but is sometimes hard to tell which changes were made by the program itself.

It didn't try to phone home here. At least ZA didn't notice anything. Also the website looks completely trustworthy to me, and I wouldn't mind using the program even if it were trying to make a connection (like for updates) that can be blocked easily.

The program sure still needs some improvement. I keep having difficulties highlighting notes, e.g. to ascribe to a lower voice a different instrument. Also the program has no preferences or settings menu. It's probably worthwhile to check from time to time how it gets improved.

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

Posted to the database. Thanks!

Jasper

#5 Post by Jasper »

Yes, I realize this is bad forum etiquette in several ways on my part. The link for this app needs to be updated.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1083

Here's a mirror of Chords on cnet.co.uk:

http://downloads.cnet.co.uk/0,39100207,39205209s,00.htm

This is actually a pretty fantastic little music editor. It's definitely not Finale, but the upside is that it's much easier to get at everything that this program can do.

Some tips after a few moments of playing around:

If you're looking for a legato effect, highlight the note (or notes) you want to modify by clicking on a single note, or by dragging a box around a set of notes. Then make sure you're in the "Sheet" tab and change the value of the "Legato (beats)" box at the bottom.

If you're trying to put in a repeat, click on the last note in the repeated sequence. Make sure you're in the "Sheet" tab, and modify the "Loop to" and "Loop count" settings. In the loop to box, you should enter the number of the note you want to return to (notes are numbered sequentially, beginning with 0, so the first note in the sheet is note 0.) In the loop count box, enter the number of times you want the sequence to repeat.

Cons:

The program isn't terribly good at updating its appearance (ever) or GUI values when multiple notes are selected.

I can't get the triplet function to work at all. =/

Also, I don't know if it's portable, but Anvil Studio is a unique and useful MIDI editor, primarily because you can edit existing *.wav to *.mid MIDIs without the program screwing up the mappings. You can find the link yourself if you're interested.