Cobian Backup 9

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
Lupo73

Cobian Backup 9

#1 Post by Lupo73 »

This new serie is available, I don't know if is portable like version 8:
http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

But a very good app..

ashghost

Cobian Backup 9.1.1.187

#2 Post by ashghost »

Version 9 is portable after following the instructions on the TPFC entry. The current release is 9.1.1.187.

edit: added link to TPFC page
Last edited by ashghost on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

markerfit

#3 Post by markerfit »

What is TPFC?

Ryushi

#4 Post by Ryushi »

markerfit wrote:What is TPFC?
Maybe The Portable Freeware Collection as stated in the logo of this page? :wink:

Cya Ryushi

bassiliin

#5 Post by bassiliin »

btw, it's new version out
Version 9.1.1.193

Changelog
http://sherwood.lh.umu.se/CobianBackup/ ... osts&t=434

Please note the release date ;)

markerfit

#6 Post by markerfit »

Ryushi wrote:
Maybe The Portable Freeware Collection as stated in the logo of this page? :wink:

Cya Ryushi
OK, my bad. But as stated in TPFC, for making Cobian 9 portable you need to modify Settings\cbEngine.ini whereas the latest version (9.1.1.
193) does not have the file. I tried it without editing the settings file and it worked. Could someone confirm on this?

Ryushi

#7 Post by Ryushi »

markerfit wrote:
Ryushi wrote:

Cya Ryushi
OK, my bad. But as stated in TPFC, for making Cobian 9 portable you need to modify Settings\cbEngine.ini whereas the latest version (9.1.1.
193) does not have the file. I tried it without editing the settings file and it worked. Could someone confirm on this?
Have you checked your registry before starting the program?
As I could imagine that Cobian Backup use the windows registry when there is no INI-file.

Cya Ryushi

ashghost

#8 Post by ashghost »

markerfit wrote: OK, my bad. But as stated in TPFC, for making Cobian 9 portable you need to modify Settings\cbEngine.ini whereas the latest version (9.1.1.
In Vista, the installer places the "DB" and "Settings" directories in the "ProgramData" folder:

C:\ProgramData\Cobian\CobianBackup9\

You need to copy those directories to the same directory as the executable and then you can edit Settings/cbEngine.ini

markerfit

#9 Post by markerfit »

I did not install Cobian, but extracted it and then copied the files (save cbUninstal.exe) to a different folder. The program I use for monitoring the registry did not make any alerts when running the executable so I am pretty sure it did not put anything in the registry. But I am not 100% of its portability.

ashghost

#10 Post by ashghost »

If the program doesn't find the Settings and DB directories when it is run, it creates them. After running it, you should be able to edit Settings/cbEngine.ini

I just tested that by renaming those directories and running it in Sandboxie.

Andrew Lee

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have decided to remove Cobian Backup from the database for now.

FYI, the latest V9 has a problem that renders the "using a relative path for the current list" method useless. I suspect it switches the current working directory to the backup source folder and doesn't restore it, so it tries to find DB\cbEngine.ini in the backup source folder and can't find it.

This behaviour can probably be fixed in a later release. But the deal breaker for me was when I read through the latest comments and someone pointed out that the settings INI file has the username in the filename, so the settings are only portable if you use the same username across different machines. Quite unrealistic IMHO.