Gnumeric portable spreadsheet update to 1.9.3

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
Wizzer

Gnumeric portable spreadsheet update to 1.9.3

#1 Post by Wizzer »

It seems that a recent beta test version (1.9.3) of the Gnumeric spreadsheet can be made portable by using the same launcher as version 1.7.10.

The 1.9.3 version, as a Windows App, and can be downloaded from the Gnome website.
http://projects.gnome.org/gnumeric/past-news.shtml
It has many improvements over the 1.7.10 version.

Version 1.9.3 seems to work better than the later posted beta-test updates and is considerably smaller in size. For example, the print-out option still works in 1.9.3, even though print preview does not. The lack of preview is a persistent fault with the Windows version of Gnumeric, it may be overcome by using a pdf-printer and auto loading a pdf-reader.

To install 1.9.3 over portable 1.7.10, just replace the files.
The 1.7.10 launcher has sub-directory "App" which in-turn contains the directories "bin", "etc", "lib" and "share". Delete the 1.7.10 contents and replace with the 1.9.3 versions.

As with 1.7.10, version 1.9.3 can be boiled-down in size by retaining only the language modules that you need and by applying the UPX compressor to the Gnumeric exe and the dll files. The trimmed and compressed version I use is logged at 29,948,570 bytes

Wizzer

ashghost

Re: Gnumeric portable spreadsheet update to 1.9.3

#2 Post by ashghost »

The download link on the TPFC entry is dead: the main page of the site says "closed" and suggests going to PortableApps.com. I found two forum threads with releases there, one for 1.7.6, and one for 1.9.3, but both of those download links are also dead.

So I Googled it. There are two places (that I trust) distributing portable versions of 1.9.3:

Softpedia (filename: "Portable Gnumeric.exe")
This one didn't work for me - there were no toolbars or menus, and right-clicks in various locations did not yield the functions that would be found there. This was under Sandboxie, but I doubt that running it outside of Sandboxie would make a difference.

SourceForge (filename: "Gnumeric_Portable_1.9.3_Det_Test_4.paf.exe")
This one is the same as the 1.9.3 version from the PortableApps forums (the forum page references a "dev test 5" release, and this is "Det_Test_4" [sic], but the only change was an update of the paf installer). It seems to work fine and portably, but it's not stealth (it saves a GTK setting to AppData). Granted, I did not put it through all of its paces, just did a quick test by changing a couple of preferences and opening a file.

It appears that PortableApps won't release an official portable version because the stable build for Windows is so outdated, and the Gnumeric devs only compile unstable dev builds.

Would anyone object to changing the download link to point to the SourceForge download? I suppose the website link could point to that forum post, but the dead download link there would probably be misleading. Perhaps it should point to the Gnumeric homepage?

EDIT: The SourceForge link now actually points to the SF version, rather than to Softpedia.
Last edited by ashghost on Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Code: Select all

Would anyone object to changing the download link to point to the SourceForge download? I suppose the website link could point to that forum post, but the dead download link there would probably be misleading.
I second this suggestion.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Its a small thing but the license to this software (according to Wikipedia) is GPL, not Freeware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnumeric

Lupo73

#5 Post by Lupo73 »

Updated :wink: