Anybody want to test a new portable app?

Any other tech-related topics
dmg

Re: Anybody want to test a new portable app?

#16 Post by dmg »

All the sounds I have used so far (in Famulus and now Stick-It!) are from http://soundbible.com. There are quite a few other online sources for free sound clips, but it can be hard to find good quality and licensing.

guinness

#17 Post by guinness »

Thanks, it's the royalty free license I have a problem finding.

dmg

#18 Post by dmg »

OK. This version of Stick-It! should be bug free, it has been rewritten to use a windows unique ID instead of title to improve reliability, and it has been optimized as far as system resource use.
(obsolete link removed, please see the Stick-It! database submission thread for current version)
Please play around with it and let me know if you find any glitches or have any ideas for improvement. The only feature I am thinking of adding is possibly to give it a hotkey in addition to the mouse function. When I am satisfied that Stick-It! is feature complete I WILL be submitting it to the database. 8)
Last edited by dmg on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guinness

#19 Post by guinness »

No problems encountered, fine job!

I am Baas

#20 Post by I am Baas »

Tested on Win7 64-bit. Did not encounter problems but I think you should move the the application's icon to the taskbar. I find it annoying to have to click the "Show hidden icons" whenever I need to stick/unstick a window. Also the name is a bit troublesome as there are a few sticky notes applications by this or similar name.

dmg

#21 Post by dmg »

...I think you should move the the application's icon to the taskbar. I find it annoying to have to click the "Show hidden icons" whenever I need to stick/unstick a window.
That does sound like it would be annoying, but I think you have to set the icon to be one of the ones in the tray. I don't think that is something I can change in the program itself. I could be wrong. :?
Also the name is a bit troublesome as there are a few sticky notes applications by this or similar name.
I knew about some of the other apps with similar names when I named my app. It is almost impossible to come up with an original name, so I am OK with the name Stick-It!. :D

Thanks for testing it on Win7.

guinness

#22 Post by guinness »

That does sound like it would be annoying, but I think you have to set the icon to be one of the ones in the tray. I don't think that is something I can change in the program itself. I could be wrong.
It's possible to move from the traymenu to the taskbar. Just create a dummy GUI and hide it, then monitor when the user selects the taskbar icon by monitoring the RESTORE command.

dmg

#23 Post by dmg »

guinness wrote:
That does sound like it would be annoying, but I think you have to set the icon to be one of the ones in the tray. I don't think that is something I can change in the program itself. I could be wrong.
It's possible to move from the traymenu to the taskbar. Just create a dummy GUI and hide it, then monitor when the user selects the taskbar icon by monitoring the RESTORE command.
I have only used Win7 a few times but I have noticed that new tray icons tend to be relegated to the 'overflow' menu instead of being always visible. I know that the user can choose which icons are visible at any given time, but you are saying that I can change my code so that my app is automatically placed in the visible portion of the tray? :shock:

guinness

#24 Post by guinness »

My idea (haven't tested it) is from 2000+ or whatever AHK supports. For example open another program that has a GUI, click on the taskbar icon/item and you'll see the window is restored, now do it again and it's minimised.

dmg

#25 Post by dmg »

I am confused... I think I must have misunderstood something, somewhere.
I am Baas wrote:...but I think you should move the the application's icon to the taskbar. I find it annoying to have to click the "Show hidden icons" whenever I need to stick/unstick a window...
I took this as a reference to Win7 hiding new system tray icons in a menu rather than making them visible in the tray. I must have missed his use of the word "taskbar". Does this refer to the wide buttons representing open windows, or could this mean the quick launch area? Does he mean he wants to have the Stick-It! icon in the quick launch so it will be easier to access on Win7?
guinness wrote:It's possible to move from the traymenu to the taskbar. Just create a dummy GUI and hide it, then monitor when the user selects the taskbar icon by monitoring the RESTORE command.
guinness wrote:My idea (haven't tested it) is from 2000+ or whatever AHK supports. For example open another program that has a GUI, click on the taskbar icon/item and you'll see the window is restored, now do it again and it's minimised.
If I am correct about the above, does this refer to a method of using an open window button on the taskbar as a way to activate Stick-It!, rather than using the tray icon?

I am not being intentionally obtuse. It is just that I have almost no experience with Win7 so references to it tend to go over my head. :shock:

I am Baas

#26 Post by I am Baas »

dmg wrote:the wide buttons representing open windows
Yes.

Btw, when I "stick" multiple windows on top, then "un-stick" one and open a new window (a web browser), the other windows will not stay on top the first time. Minimizing and then restoring the window will "fix" that glitch.

dmg

#27 Post by dmg »

I am Baas wrote:
dmg wrote:the wide buttons representing open windows
Yes.

So you did mean a 'window button', and not the quick launch on the far left of the taskbar? If so then I really don't understand what you are talking about. :(

Can you explain in great detail how you would prefer Stick-It! to work, step by step starting with running the exe file?
I am Baas wrote:Btw, when I "stick" multiple windows on top, then "un-stick" one and open a new window (a web browser), the other windows will not stay on top the first time. Minimizing and then restoring the window will "fix" that glitch.
I have not been able to reproduce this on my XP SP2 system. This could just be a glitch with Win7 but I don't know. Stick-It! works by telling Windows to apply or remove the TopMost ExtendedStyle to the selected window. It does not do anything 'active' to manipulate window behavior so I am not sure if there is anything I can do to fix this issue or not, but I will look into it. :)

Thank you for reporting this. I have not gotten much in the way of feedback or bug reporting on most of my apps. While this could be seen as potentially a good thing, a lack of result is never very satisfying. One always imagines something was overlooked. :lol:

guinness

#28 Post by guinness »

If you create a GUI you should see what we mean.

I am Baas,

I am right in what you want aren't I?

dmg

#29 Post by dmg »

I am Baas wrote:...I think you should move the the application's icon to the taskbar. I find it annoying to have to click the "Show hidden icons" whenever I need to stick/unstick a window...
guinness wrote:It's possible to move from the traymenu to the taskbar. Just create a dummy GUI and hide it, then monitor when the user selects the taskbar icon by monitoring the RESTORE command.
guinness wrote:My idea (haven't tested it) is from 2000+ or whatever AHK supports. For example open another program that has a GUI, click on the taskbar icon/item and you'll see the window is restored, now do it again and it's minimised.
I take all of this to mean the he found it annoying to have to access a menu to click on the Stick-It! icon in the system tray. Then you suggest a method of using a dummy gui as a sort of activation button on the taskbar (an inspired, if somewhat unconventional workaround). Then I finally figure out SOME of what this is about and ask him if he meant a taskbar 'window button, (per your suggestion) or if he actually meant an icon in the quick launch. he say he meant the 'window button' but I am still unsure so I ask for clarification.
guinness wrote:If you create a GUI you should see what we mean.
Indeed. When you click a taskbar 'window button' it will minimize/restore the window. And I see how this could theoretically be used to activate something, but I have never seen this in an actual application and the idea that this is specifically what he was asking for just doesn't quite compute, unless he explains further.

I admit to being slow on the uptake. Which is why I ask so many questions. I can get annoying at times, though I certainly don't mean to be. I thank you for your continuing patience.

I am Baas

#30 Post by I am Baas »

This should make it clear: