RSS Feed issues in Google Reader

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
Arithmomaniac

RSS Feed issues in Google Reader

#1 Post by Arithmomaniac »

80% of the posts in this site's RSS feedare missing when I use Google Reader. They show up using Firefox.

Any independent confirmation or help?
Thanks.

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

Could you try http://www.portablefreeware.com/feedburner.php and let me know if it works with Google Reader?

Arithmomaniac

Yes...

#3 Post by Arithmomaniac »

So far.
Thanks.

Arithmomaniac

Stopped Working again

#4 Post by Arithmomaniac »

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have just fixed the RSS feed. Thanks for letting me know.

Arithmomaniac

They're both broken again.

#6 Post by Arithmomaniac »

Just a minor issue. Can you fix it?
Thanks,
Arithmomaniac

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

Any idea what is the exact error?

I just validated the feed using Feed Validator and all seems well, except for two warnings that I always get.

keppo

#8 Post by keppo »

I can confirm that there still seems to be some problems with the feed in Google Reader.

Don't know where exactly seems the problem. My last entry is from "6 feb" before that is "26 jan".

When I use the feed in ie7 that everything seems ok and is proof that google is holding out on me.

I tried both the supplied feeds... different result but not as much as within IE7...

No error here from Google Reader.

Anything I can test over here? Any other info needed?

regards
Patrick

keppo

#9 Post by keppo »

Hmm my problem seems to be related to only the feed http://feeds.feedburner.com/pfc

The forum is working good for me because I saw my own entry on the forum within 15 min in GoogleReader.

hope this helps

Andrew Lee

#10 Post by Andrew Lee »

Just hazarding a guess. I remember reading that Google Reader does not report edited feed items as "New". Perhaps that could be the problem?

The TPFC feed items uses the same article ID for each app for updates. Maybe that's why updated apps are not showing up in Google Reader, since they are regarded as "edits"?

keppo

#11 Post by keppo »

Perhaps your right, I really can tell.

I recieved yesterday 2 feed items. "7-Zip Portable V4.57" and "ImgBurn V2.4.0.0" which both claim to be updates in the header that is,

If your guess is right than these 2 shouldn't be edits but should have new ID's. Can you confirm that this is the case?

If so than there is probably nothing we can do to remedy this situation and I have to find another solution to reed the TPFC feed.

I'm also curious about the differences I noticed between the http://feeds.feedburner.com/pfc and the http://www.portablefreeware.com/feedburner.php feed. They differ from each other.
The last entry in I have in the first feed is Jnes V1.0 with has the [new] in the header so your guess could be right for this feed.

regards

Andrew Lee

#12 Post by Andrew Lee »

I recieved yesterday 2 feed items. "7-Zip Portable V4.57" and "ImgBurn V2.4.0.0" which both claim to be updates in the header that is,

If your guess is right than these 2 shouldn't be edits but should have new ID's. Can you confirm that this is the case?
Nope, they don't have new IDs. So my hypothesis is wrong.

Tell you what. I will sign up for a Google Reader account and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Andrew Lee

#13 Post by Andrew Lee »

OK, I have fixed up the RSS feed for Google Reader.

*@&#^$ Google Reader is not satisfied that the item ID be different. It wants the URL to be different as well!

So I have added a timestamp parameter to each link that does nothing but caters to Google Reader's quirk. Now you should see every single item in the feed as it gets published.

keppo

#14 Post by keppo »

GREAT!!! 31 new/updated items!

Indeed that does the trick! Sorry for making your work so hard for it.

I thank you VERY much, for solving my issue!

Arithmomaniac

Thanks

#15 Post by Arithmomaniac »

Excellent. (I'll also take this advice to other sites).
Arithmomaniac