The Libertà Project

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Liberta Press

The Libertà Project

#1 Post by Liberta Press »

All software from the Libertà Project is designed to be portable including PUSS, AutoStart, Launchpad and Lapwing. None use the registry.

PUSS
Description: PUSS is a simple utility to manage all aspects of your portable life. It includes Sync to synchronize your files between your USB and your Hard Drive. It also includes Backup to make backups of your files and Secure to encrypt your files.
File Information:
File Size: 1.2 MB
Extraction Information: Self-extracting executable extracts files into a directory called PUSS

AutoStart
Description: AutoStart provides quick access to the applications stored on your USB Flash Drive. It is a core component of "The Libertà Project" aimed at launching Portable Applications.
AutoStart monitors USB Flash Drives and shows icons in the notification area of the taskbar for attached drives. It then creates a menu containing applications on the drive that appears when the notification area icon is right clicked.
File Information:
File Size: 80 KB
Extraction Information: Download the executable and run. No need to extract.

Liberta Press

#2 Post by Liberta Press »

Just to add that PUSS is at version 1.01 and Autostart is at 1.0.0.42

(Note PUSS 1.01 has now been released, updated post accordingly.)

Liberta Press

#3 Post by Liberta Press »

PUSS has now been updated to 1.02, the main post has been updated accordingly. Note: this should be the last release for a couple of weeks :)

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have posted PUSS to the database. Thanks!

However, I don't really "get" AutoStart, or maybe I am just not configuring it correctly.

Firstly, I can't get "open" in autoinf.run to work. If I have a line like:

Code: Select all

[autorun]
open=pstart.exe
shouldn't PStart be run when I left-click on the icon like the doc says? If there is a way to make it autorun, it will be even better!

Other than that, all the functions in the right-click menu are available in Windows Explorer. Why would I want to run another utility for them?

:?:

Liberta Press

#5 Post by Liberta Press »

Hi,

Firstly thanks for linking to PUSS, as for a more detailed description of AutoStart I think that this thread will tell you more. I have also pointed this thread out to our Autostart developer so I expect he will post some more detailed info for you shortly.

rene

AutoStart purpose

#6 Post by rene »

Hi,
I'm the author of AutoStart.

The idea behind AutoStart is that you start it once from the USB Flash Drive and then leave it running. When you attach a flash drive, you then won't get the popups anymore asking you what you want to do.

AutoStart gives you an icon in the notification area for every attached flash drive, so it is not limited to a single drive. From that icon you indeed get the same stuff you get from the explorer except you have it available from that tray icon. I find that extremely usefull because I don't have to go open an explorer window anymore.

AutoStart has builtin support for directly ejecting a flash drive. No additional message box is shown.

AutoStart is small (90KB) and uses little (4MB) memory. Compare that to menus like e.g. PStart which requries 12MB.
I personally use AutoStart together with PStart where I configure PStart to close when it starts an application, to provide no tray icon and to close when the panel is closed. So PStart only runs for a short period of time, the rest of the time you only have AutoStart running which as I mentioned requires much less memory.

Here is an extract from my own autorun.inf file. If you click the tray icon PStart will be launched (the line 'shell=pstart' takes care of that)
I explain this also in the ninth post on portableapps.com in this thread http://portableapps.com/node/3168

Code: Select all

[AutoRun]
label=René's Personal Flash Drive
icon=AutoStart\AutoStart.exe,0
action=Start application launcher for this drive
open=AutoStart\AutoStart.exe
shell=pstart
shell\pstart\command=pstart.exe
shell\pstart=Portable Start Menu
Also, when you (optionally) install AutoStart on the PC, it sets itself up as an autoplay handler for mixed content. This means you can configure Windows XP Autoplay to run AutoStart when you attach your drive.

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks for the clarification. I have added AutoStart to the database.

webfork

Re: The Libertà Project

#8 Post by webfork »

Some updates:

Official Entry so you don't have to search for it: AutoStart - http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=990

--License--
Its listed as GPL'd, but I'm having trouble tracking down the actual source code. There's a sourceforge page (http://sourceforge.net/projects/liberta/) but I can't find autostart in the link they provide or anywhere else on the sourceforge site. Bummer.

--Homepage--
The main website http://www.liberta-project.org/ listed by both us and softpedia is down, but http://xpt.nl/products-autostart appears to be the current homepage so I switched it over. The download is offline so I'm pointing to Softpedia.

---

Edit: Some detective work shows that author rene appears to have had some issues discussed over at PortableApps. Evidently the code licensing issues involved had a chilling effect on his interest in the project. Legal stuff certainly has a tendency to do that, but it certainly sucks for the rest of us.