zoiper (VoIP client, both SIP and IAX)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
cmmehl

zoiper (VoIP client, both SIP and IAX)

#1 Post by cmmehl »

Found a very interesting item for all friends of portable VoIP: zoiper is a client that can handle both SIP and IAX protocols! Never saw another program having this feature.

The program strangely resembles the latest incarnation of idefisk, so I assume some relationship, but I ignore the details.

Concerning portability, it comes with an installer, which I couldn't open with 7zip (didn't try any other extractor). But after transferring the installation directory to my stick, I found it worked well on other computers and had kept all of its settings. It has however the default to associate the <callto> function to itself within the registry, so this would need to be disabled in the advanced settings (under automation/integration) before transferring the prog to the stick and then uninstalling it. Otherwise I didn't notice any important changes in the registry (but didn't check very thoroughly).

There are two issues which, imho, need to be cleared before posting this fine program to the DB:

1 - at this stage it is still beta, and each free version has an expiry date some 2 months later (the latest version came out yesterday and remains valid until 13.03.2007)

2 - although the download is a savvy 6.1. MB, the files in the install directory finally sum up to some 2.3 MB only. I have absolutely no idea where the rest is going, and call on the experts and cracks in this forum to find out more about his. My only guess is that the payed version "Biz" is already onboard, awaiting a special key or something of the sorts.

Cheers
Chris

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

at this stage it is still beta, and each free version has an expiry date some 2 months later (the latest version came out yesterday and remains valid until 13.03.2007)
No, no expiryware please! That's pure evil! :D

cmmehl

#3 Post by cmmehl »

Andrew Lee wrote:That's pure evil! :D
lol

No, I wouldn't put such evil stuff on my stick neither, but I reckon that this is just so during the testing phase. That's why I wouldn't put it in it DB - yet.

I was hoping some of the experts could check the other aspects of portability, because it would really be a worthy asset in the collection (there is no real client yet under VoIP, only proprietary stuff ...), once this expiration issue is settled.

Hope you understand ;-)

Chris

cmmehl

#4 Post by cmmehl »

Latest beta 1.04 is out.

Sill expiryware - now until 13 April.

This time I didn't install it, but used UniExtract, quite a procedure ... had to do it twice, but finally ended up with the desired Zoiper.exe

For the rest, it appears portable.

Btw - am I the only person interested in VoIP in this fine forum????

Cheers
Chris

Firewrath

#5 Post by Firewrath »

Actually,
id Love to find something small like VoIPerized that i can actually get to work over the net,

but really, im not going to look at this till it stops being 'expiryware',
sorry, :P

alanbcohen

#6 Post by alanbcohen »

alexeena,
You would probably be better serviced by starting a new thread in Chit Chat instead of awakening a sleeping thread.
Personally, I've been using a Vonage voip as a second phone line for about five years. I have had problems from time to time, but about the same level as my current Verizon land line. For the last three years, I've used Vonage over Verizon DSL and have eight computers networked over the same line.
The most significant service differentiating Vonage from other services for me has been simultaneous ring of my cell phone and the Vonage phone. It isn't forwarding, it is at the same time; people calling me don't have to know whether I am in my home office or on the road.