Apache OpenOffice

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.

Checker

OpenOffice Portable V3.1.1

#32 Post by Checker »

Last edited by Checker on Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Checker

OpenOffice Portable V3.1.1

#33 Post by Checker »

It's now V3.1.1 :!:
I changed my first posting accordingly.

webfork

Re: OpenOffice Portable V3.1.1

#34 Post by webfork »

Vista users: recommend sticking with the previous version (3.1).

Been having difficulty with 3.1.1 on several Vista machines I've tested it on.

(Note that these machines are *not* patched so the latest updates might fix this.)

SJefferies

#35 Post by SJefferies »

You could also try something like Open Office Anywhere which lets you run the OpenOffice.org suite of programs without installing it on the local computer

GeddichNixan

#36 Post by GeddichNixan »

@SJeffries

You forgot to mention that Open Office Anywhere is a commercial service.

@everybody

Does this qualifies SJeffries' message as SPAM?

joby_toss

#37 Post by joby_toss »

Spam, ignorance (this is Portable Freeware Update section), confusion ... you choose. :?

GeddichNixan

#38 Post by GeddichNixan »

@joby_toss

Hm... let me think it over...yes, I think I choose SPAM. :D

lautrepay

Apache OpenOffice 3.4

#39 Post by lautrepay »

New v3.4 is ready to download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openoff ... e/download
Other languages available.

the_watcher

Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4

#40 Post by the_watcher »

i was ready to open a topic about openoffice 3.4, then i saw you got there first, lautrepay :)

Glad to see they're finally ready to begin active development. Let's see where this goes..

JohnTHaller

#41 Post by JohnTHaller »

We're already chatting with them about trademark approval for a portable version. (Nobody can do one without it still)
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#42 Post by webfork »

Someone put together a comparison found via this comment under the Slashdot post about it.

I'll keep following this issue closely, but one of the best features of the sons-of-StarOffice is that it will open, edit, and save to an astonishing number of files. LibreOffice as a project seems focused on expanding that capacity and other small goodies, while OpenOffice seems more focused at this stage on business-friendly security elements.

lautrepay

#43 Post by lautrepay »

the_watcher wrote:i was ready to open a topic about openoffice 3.4, then i saw you got there first, lautrepay :)
Occasionally, time zones play in my favour. :wink:
JohnTHaller wrote:We're already chatting with them about trademark approval for a portable version. (Nobody can do one without it still)
It took me half an hour to convince myself that there's nothing wrong with, eventually, PortableApps.com offering a portable version of Apache OpenOffice.
But, given the situation of tension between supporters of each of the suites, I think not everyone will manage to convince themselves about it.
webfork wrote:I'll keep following this issue closely, but one of the best features of the sons-of-StarOffice is that it will open, edit, and save to an astonishing number of files. LibreOffice as a project seems focused on expanding that capacity and other small goodies, while OpenOffice seems more focused at this stage on business-friendly security elements.
IMHO, and sadly, sooner or later the suite with the name of a patched server will relegate LibreOffice to the same place usually occupied by Go-oo and Novell Office: a small percentage of Linux machines.
And this for a single reason: Apache OpenOffice will inherit the GUI of Lotus Symphony. This will make the difference.

But I want to stress a novelty that has gone unnoticed: a couple of weeks ago, Calligra, the new brand of the KDE project office suite, has reached its first stable release.
And a (highly experimental) MSI installer for testing purposes is available to download @ http://www.kogmbh.com/download.html. So, Windows users can now give this project a try.

webfork

#44 Post by webfork »

lautrepay wrote:And this for a single reason: Apache OpenOffice will inherit the GUI of Lotus Symphony. This will make the difference.
Wait, is OpenOffice going to adopt the Symphony interface as the primary look-and-feel?

In my testing so far, I've preferred the LibreOffice interface over Symphony. Although I love the tabbed window system, the side-bar thing seems like IBM's answer to the ribbon interface and feels awkward. I also want the ability to fully minimize it: even in its collapsed setting it takes up quite a bit of screen real estate. I couldn't figure out a way to modify that or just turn it off.

Whatever my personal feelings about it, you're right that raw number of features has been trumped by a solid interface. Apple of course has had fewer features than many of its market equivalents but won using a better interface, and Google Docs and others continue to survive despite Microsoft Office's vast feature-set. However, in open source desktop software, I think the closest parallel we can draw from is probably GIMP: it's had a variety of forks, revisions, and tweaks, yet the main packaged project has the most features and sees the most updates. As a result, despite (for some) an unpleasant interface, the main project has been the most popular and survived the longest.

SYSTEM

#45 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:Someone put together a comparison found via this comment under the Slashdot post about it.
BTW, that "someone" is Michael Meeks, one of the key developers of LibreOffice. So the comparison may be a bit biased.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020