Idefisk 2.0 (VoIP client)

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
cmmehl

Idefisk 2.0 (VoIP client)

#1 Post by cmmehl »

I have been using Idefisk on my stick for quite a while now, it used to be an IAX client only (IAX is usually only interesting to people running an asterisk server, as - unfortunately - only few providers offer services with this fine protocol).

Pleasant surprise: the latest version 2.0 can do also the more popular SIP protocol, so you actually have the best of two worlds! So far, I had only known of zoiper for such an ability, and zoiper continues to be expiryware until today. Not so Idefisk, which comes in two flavours - free and biz. The free version, however, has all it needs for the travelling voiper who needs that on his stick. The only reason for me to upgrade to biz would be for the G729 codec, not included in the free version. G729 is very useful on low bandwidth, and that you have to pay for it is normal - it is a commercial product.

I extracted the program from the downloaded installer using 7zip and put the two files in a folder on my stick. Haven't carried out too many tests yet for lack of time, but it looks very promising.

The interface actually looks almost identical to zoiper - there is clearly a relation between the two programs, although I continue to ignore what exactly this is.

For the first run, I would recommend to uncheck the option "Start with Windows" in the general options section. Unfortunately, it is checked on by default.

Idefisk writes its settings to the application folder.

This is really a very nice program, and I would be happy to see it added to the DB.

Cheers
Chris

hollyhunter

Re: Idefisk 2.0 (VoIP client)

#2 Post by hollyhunter »

cmmehl wrote:I have been using Idefisk on my stick for quite a while now, it used to be an IAX client only (IAX is usually only interesting to people running an asterisk server, as - unfortunately - only few providers offer services with this fine protocol).
I agree with you Chris... Idefisk 2.0 is an outstanding program and fairly simple to use.

trose

#3 Post by trose »

hollyhunter wrote:
cmmehl wrote:I have been using Idefisk on my stick for quite a while now, it used to be an IAX client only (IAX is usually only interesting to people running an asterisk server, as - unfortunately - only few providers offer services with this fine protocol).
I agree with you Chris... Idefisk 2.0 is an outstanding program and fairly simple to use.
Couldn't agree more... I love it!

eroberts

#4 Post by eroberts »

[Moderator note: User edited his entry to include what looks like spam. Links have been removed.]

Couldn't agree more... I love [link removed]
I was really surprised at how much the [link removed] interface closely resembled to ZOIPER! Very easy to use too!
Last edited by eroberts on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

> I agree with you Chris... Idefisk 2.0 is an outstanding program and fairly simple to use.

> Couldn't agree more... I love it!

> I was really surprised at how much the interface closely resembled to zoiper! Very easy to use too!

What resounding praise by upbeat 50's go-getters!

All the cool kids are doing it.

Likely someone interested in this software's success is creating a few new accounts to log in and bump the program. If someone can verify this has the capability to make free calls (e.g. Phoner, Skype) that would be great -- otherwise we should probably move it over to the payware section.
Last edited by webfork on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (potentially better wording)

jimm1909

#6 Post by jimm1909 »

Cheers
Chris
I'm still using Idefisk for voip and i still love it!

-Jim
Last edited by jimm1909 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:What resounding praise by upbeat 50's go-getters!
jimm1909 wrote:I'm still using Idefisk and i still love it!
lol -- more of the same
webfork wrote:otherwise we should probably move it over to the payware section.
I'll go ahead and do that now.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:
webfork wrote:What resounding praise by upbeat 50's go-getters!
jimm1909 wrote:I'm still using Idefisk and i still love it!
lol -- more of the same
User was indeed a spammer -- went back and added some spam goodies. User deleted, spam removed.