file/folder/ copy help, creation/modified date

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
portackager

file/folder/ copy help, creation/modified date

#1 Post by portackager »

I'm currently in the need of a file/folder duplicator.. Well actaully I have already copied all my files off my harddrive, but unfortunetly the creation/modified dates are out of sync with the original, (the copys creation date is set as today) does anyone know how I can get the modified/creation date to reflect the original? I've used Ycopy to copy the files, then syncback to keep the files insync, but the creation/modified dates are still not set like the original e.g. 03/12/2007 > 05/23/2007, i need: 03/12/2007 > 03/12/2007

Grr.

thanks

calm_observer

Re: file/folder/ copy help, creation/modified date

#2 Post by calm_observer »

you need to 'touch' the files.

portackager

#3 Post by portackager »

Ok.. I searched around but I couldn't find anything suitable I need like a twoway batch 'file touch' that works from the source files to the destination.

Thanks anyways.

technicolordreamcoat

#4 Post by technicolordreamcoat »

Yucca

#5 Post by Yucca »

Get robocopy as part of the Windows Resource Kit at:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en .

That will do what you want from the command line, but you will need to start over again and copy the files again. CAUTION: If you run robocopy to sync the original files with the erroneously dated new copies, robocopy will replace the original dates with the new dates (which will be newer). So you need to delete the copied files and then use robocopy to copy the originals again, preserving the original dates.

After that you can go back to using any backup/syncing software you prefer -- although robocopy with the /MIR (for mirror) switch works well for oneway syncing from source to target.

Hope that helps.

-- Yucca