Cafe - Handle files extensions association on the fly

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
XPect

Cafe - Handle files extensions association on the fly

#1 Post by XPect »

I think this is the perfect companion for your applications.

Café handle the double click on files and redirect to your portable application according to your configuration. If you define that .jpg is associated to Faststone viewer for example, a double click on a jpg file from the windows explorer will automatically launch Faststone viewer rather than windows preview or paint.
You can also define an alternate application that will be called while you press the ALT key during the double click. As an example, you can associate Photofiltre as the second apps for the jpg extension.

Of course this application is portable and handle relatives path to your applications. The extensions associations are wrote in cafe.ini, nothing in registry.

Bad news, this is only in French for the moment. I can help to translate if needed.

This is included with the Framakey project (French): http://www.framakey.org/Portables/Index

CAFE Project page and download location (French): http://clef.usb.googlepages.com/cafe

By default the double click is only handled in Windows Explorer. To allow it on other apps you must add this in the config file:

Code: Select all

[configuration]
fenetresadditionnelles=ahk_class TfcForm, ahk_class TTntFormUltraExplorer.UnicodeClass
ahk_class TfcForm => Handle FreeCommander
TTntFormUltraExplorer.UnicodeClass => Handle UltraExplorer
The application is developped under AutoHotKeys, so the class are the one indicated by the Autoit spy windows application.

At last, Cafe can be stopped via command line : cafe.exe /stop
this is useful when you exit a launcher.

Enjoy

Teddybear1974NL

#2 Post by Teddybear1974NL »

Hmm.. it is written in AutoHotKey scripting and made into an executable.

sadly at the moment it cost me too much time to make an English version:
- I don't know the scripting language (Just looked at it today. it is not difficult yet you have to get into it).
- English nor French is my first language, so translating from one to the other might get some weird translation errors.

Le Yann

#3 Post by Le Yann »

Well, as I'm the person who wrote Café, i'm very pleased to see it's submission to this this site.
I'm also more than happy to tell you that an international version should be available very soon, as i've been working on it last week.

songless

#4 Post by songless »

Lovely app, VERY recommended.
With the XPect's configuration line works great in UltraExplorer

spacemonkey

#5 Post by spacemonkey »

Any idea of the e.t.a for the international version? Looking forward trying it :)

Hank7

#6 Post by Hank7 »

I've wanted something like this since I first put Portable Firefox on my USB stick back in 2004... Thanks!

It would be nice if it supported command line parameters, e.g. I'd like to open avi files with the "/fullscreen" switch.

Looking forward to the international release :-)

Le Yann

#7 Post by Le Yann »

The international version of Café is now available from this page.
You'll have to choose the zip version and, once unzipped and running, select "en" in the "Choix du Langage" submenu inside "Préférences".
I hope this is clear as english is not my primary language.
Enjoy !

Le Yann

#8 Post by Le Yann »

Hank7 wrote:It would be nice if it supported command line parameters, e.g. I'd like to open avi files with the "/fullscreen" switch.
Command line parameters are on my todo list, but i can't tell you when they'll be available as i did not have the time to start working on it yet.

spacemonkey

#9 Post by spacemonkey »

Not sure why but I carnt extract cafe.exe out of the zip... the language file extracts ok... any ideas?

Anyone else having problems or is it just me?

AVG also reports it as a trojan!?! :?

Le Yann

#10 Post by Le Yann »

spacemonkey wrote:Not sure why but I carnt extract cafe.exe out of the zip... the language file extracts ok... any ideas?
Anyone else having problems or is it just me?
I just tried to extract a freshly downloaded copy, without problem. I think you should try downloading it again. And if this doesn't work, try downloading the exe version, and put it in the same folder as the LNG folder.
spacemonkey wrote:AVG also reports it as a trojan!?! :?
It's a false positive, that is triggered by the fact that Café was compiled with AutoIt (as are all AutoHotKey scripts).
Avast doesn't find anything in Café.

brewabel

#11 Post by brewabel »

Was beating my head against the wall with this and trying to get the file associations to work.

Realized that with UltraExplorer, the WinKey + Click does not work. You need to have the file opened in a Windows Explorer window for that to work.

Even tried to do the manual associations, but it would not take till I used explorer and the Win+Click feature.

Not sure if it's the same with other explorer replacements or not. After that, I loved the functions of this.

XPect

#12 Post by XPect »

brewabel,

Sound stange, Win + click work fine for me on UltraExplorer to get an extra association.
Did you add the following line in the config file to handle UltraExplorer in the right way ?

[configuration]
fenetresadditionnelles=ahk_class TTntFormUltraExplorer.UnicodeClass

brewabel

#13 Post by brewabel »

XPect wrote:brewabel,

Sound stange, Win + click work fine for me on UltraExplorer to get an extra association.
Did you add the following line in the config file to handle UltraExplorer in the right way ?

[configuration]
fenetresadditionnelles=ahk_class TTntFormUltraExplorer.UnicodeClass
XPect, I did not add that. Where would I put that in at?

XPect

#14 Post by XPect »

Open the configuration file cafe.ini (direct or right click on the tray icon then prefs) and just add those 2 lines at the end of the file.

Regards

tm

#15 Post by tm »

Thanks for all the tips.

But, what do you add if you are using Windows explorer, or even for a traditionalist (I hope that's a word) like me who is using ACDSee32 as an alternative explorer.