virus help? -_-

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
Firewrath

virus help? -_-

#1 Post by Firewrath »

Sooo,
i have this PoS laptop i use for just going around the net and stuff like that, just incase i pickup viruses and stuff like i do every now and then,

ive had on here that clamwin wasnt picking up,
so i downloaded AVG to see if it would,
(it doesnt, but thats beside the point, :P)

Anyways,
the AVG spyware scanner has tagged all the '<program>_JPE.exe's saying theyre infected with 'Backdoor.Bifrost'

So, has anyone else had this?
i mean,
did i Actually pickup something that attached itself to those apps,
OR is AVG just picking up on the redirect system JPE is using?

im voting the latter, but i just want to check and be Sure first, :P

LzBy1

AVG & JauntePE

#2 Post by LzBy1 »

I just wanted to let you know that I have AVG Free and I frequently use JauntePE and JauntePE Modified Applications and I have never had that problem. For starters, I would make sure AVG is up to date. Then I would try Trend Micro System Cleaner http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=643#comments then Stinger http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=464#comments to catch that virus. Those both have worked well for me in the past. Good luck.

redllar

#3 Post by redllar »

I run AVG as well and I've never had it tag any JPE made launchers as containing a virus.

I can also say that there's no code in the JPE made launchers that would make a virus scanner think that the launcher itself was a trojan or some other kind of malware. All of that code is contained within the madCHook dll.

Firewrath

#4 Post by Firewrath »

well,
im thinking this is just a false alarm,

ive run almost every antivirus/spyware bit i could get my hands on and Nothing is picking it up,

Only AVG-AntiSpyware is,

i was going to download JPE again and try making new files,
Luckily, 0.12 came out, so Yay! :D /cheer /etc *ahem*
but yeah, even portable .exes Just made with JPE 0.12 are being detected as having this 'Backdoor.Bifrost' thing,

sooo, yeah,
odds are its just some kind of false positive,

redllar

#5 Post by redllar »

Nothing is picking it up,

Only AVG-AntiSpyware is,
Oops, I thought you were using AVG anti-virus, not anti-spyware. I don't run the anti-spyware app so I can't confirm anything there.

I did a google though and came up with this, which is funny because it's the same tool flagging the same malware in the zip that you created. :)
but yeah, even portable .exes Just made with JPE 0.12 are being detected as having this 'Backdoor.Bifrost' thing,
The JPE exe, which is what makes the portable launchers, didn't change with 012, so that makes sense as a false positive. And whenever anything is uploaded to a yahoo geocities account they always scan it with Norton, so there's at least a commercial version of an anti-malware app saying the 012 zip is okay.