VideoLAN & about:plugins

Any other tech-related topics
Simon.T

VideoLAN & about:plugins

#1 Post by Simon.T »

When my guaranty guarantee on this new laptop is over... I'm going to get Debian or Ubuntu but till then, Open-Source and Portable apps

Now I have this Vista Home Basic (please don't laugh...) and when I'm looking for funny videos or streaming TV news I'm just grabbing them directly from the page into my machine (saving streaming media to .txt file and downloading videos) and play it on my machine - I'm not going to install any M$ shit in here "the less m$ the better for me!"

But when I installed today (or yesterday, a few hours ago) VideoLAN, Firefox was able to play .wmv from the browser with VLC (till now I could play with VLC only .flac .ogg and one other format I guess)

So what in the hell I did so that VLC is now able to play all known formats which Firefox always gave me this notification message that I need M$ Media Plug-in in order to play the media file like .wma .wmv etc. (directly from browser) :?: :?: :?:

Maybe it has to do with Mozilla Default Plug-in (File name: npnul32.dll) which is not enabled (me very dunno if it was enabled before)

Here you have an image from my About Plug-ins [about:plugins]

Geemonster

#2 Post by Geemonster »

VLC's probably the best media player out there.
It comes with it's own codec pack,and plays VOB,AVI,MKV,DVD, and not least BIN CUE.
It's been updated recently to 0.8.6.e,and it's the one i always use,i'll take the Pepsi challenge with WMP or DivX any day.

P.S. Simon T we've the same siggy don't worry mines going to be different when i can get it resized. :)
It is pretty cool though isn't it?

appsuser

Re: VideoLAN & about:plugins

#3 Post by appsuser »

Simon.T wrote: So what in the hell I did so that VLC is now able to play all known formats which Firefox always gave me this notification message that I need M$ Media Plug-in in order to play the media file like .wma .wmv etc. (directly from browser) :?: :?: :?:
Guess this is your question...from your picture, it looks like when you installed VLC, you also had it install the Mozilla plug-in, npvlc.dll, and this plug-in "took over" any file extensions it was able to play...including .wmv and extensions listed under the VLC multimedia plugin...

Geemonster

#4 Post by Geemonster »

I had VLC long before Firefox which was installed in the last 2 mths.
Don't know.