SmartSniff - network packet capture

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
milentechie

SmartSniff - network packet capture

#1 Post by milentechie »

[Moderator note: this is the primary SmartSniff program thread. View database entry

---

SmartSniff v1.20

Synopsis: SmartSniff allows you to capture TCP/IP packets that pass through your network adapter, and view the captured data as sequence of conversations between clients and servers. You can view the TCP/IP conversations in Ascii mode (for text-based protocols, like HTTP, SMTP, POP3 and FTP.) or as hex dump. (for non-text base protocols, like DNS)
SmartSniff provides 2 methods for capturing TCP/IP packets :
Raw Sockets (Only for Windows 2000/XP or greater): Allows you to capture TCP/IP packets on your network without installing a capture driver. This method has some limitations and problems.
WinPcap Capture Driver: Allows you to capture TCP/IP packets on all Windows operating systems. (Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003) In order to use it, you have to download and install WinPcap Capture Driver from this Web site. (WinPcap is a free open-source capture driver.)
This method is generally the preferred way to capture TCP/IP packets with SmartSniff, and it works better than the Raw Sockets method.

Writes settings to: None

How to extract: Download the ZIP file and extract to a folder of your choice. Launch the program by double-clicking on smsniff.exe.

License: Freeware

System Requirements: Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP

Download: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/smsniff.zip

ahoier

#2 Post by ahoier »

neato! A packet viewer that is easy to read/understand :P and ofcourse, PORTABLE ^^

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Posted to the database. Thanks!

I still don't like the fact that it writes settings to the registry (which columns to display etc) :(

But assuming one is only going to use it occasionally, I think it is bearable as a portable sniffer.