WinSplit Revolution - A tool for managing your windows

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Xaviou

WinSplit Revolution - A tool for managing your windows

#1 Post by Xaviou »

Hi all.
This is my first submission : hope I'll do it the correct way :wink:

WinSplit Revolution is a freeware utility which allows you to easily organize your open windows by tiling, resizing and positioning them to make the best use of your desktop real estate.

Features :
  • Moves/Resizes an activated window with hotkeys (for example, pressing [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Numpad 7] will put the current window on the upper left corner of the screen
    Hotkeys for sending windows on the next (or previous) monitor
    Already used hotkeys detection
    New "Drag'N'Go" feature, that allows you to see a transparent pane showing where your window will be put when moving it while pressing [Ctrl] + [Alt]
    Fully customizables hotkeys and layout settings
    Can be started with windows (needs access to registry for this)
    Updates check (can be disabled)
    Multi languages support
System Requirements : As it is compiled in Unicode mode, it can only run on Windows 2000, Windows XP (32 and 64 bits) and Vista (32 and 64 bits).

Extraction instructions : The installer provide a "portable mode" options that makes the application writing its settings in the application folder (and that doesn't write any uninstall information in the registry).

In this mode, the only access to registry is for setting/removing the "auto-run with windows" key (this option can be deactivated at the end of the installation process, or later in the options dialog box).

Here are some links : Hope you'll enjoy it !
Regards

Xav'

Xaviou

#2 Post by Xaviou »

A new version of WinSplit Revolution is available.

It is a "bugs corrections" release.

You can download it from the web site : http://www.winsplit-revolution.com

Regards.
Xav'

ashghost

#3 Post by ashghost »

Nice find. Good submission. Gets my vote for inclusion in the database.

I can confirm that settings are portable and that it does not write to the registry or the filesystem (unless it writes to the registry only on the first run, which I didn't check).

Having an installer with a portable option is always nice.

Baas

#4 Post by Baas »

How is WinSplit compare to GridMove? Does it support multiple monitors?

ashghost

#5 Post by ashghost »

I don't have multiple monitors to test all functions, but it does include a function for moving windows between monitors.
Move window to screen
Ctrl+Alt+ Left / Right: For owners of multi screen, it is possible to move a window from a screen to another. For now you can move a window on horizontal direction (Left/Right).
I suspect that GridMove allows you to define your grid to span the monitors, so that you can press Win+G and then a number to place the active window on the other monitor. In WinSplitRevolution you can do the same thing by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Left and then press a number pad key while still holding Ctrl+Alt.

One big difference is that WinSplitRevolution allows you to set one hotkey to place all windows in a mosaic and another to set the last 2 active windows to split the screen, whereas GridMove can only manipulate 1 window at a time. Another is that you can set it to remember a particular window position (and size) for a process so that you can snap the window back to that position, regardless of the layout you've defined.

Otherwise, it's a different approach. Rather than defining separate grids and having to switch between them, you can define each area of the screen to have successive sizes/positions which it will cycle through as you drag it further into the edge/corner or as you repeat the hotkey.

Kranor

#6 Post by Kranor »

You can manipulate all windows with one action in gridmove as well, it all depends on the triggers that you set....

Xaviou

#7 Post by Xaviou »

WinSplit makes accesses to the registry for reading / setting / unsetting the Windows's built-in "x-mouse" functionnality.

Have a look at the complete changelog here.

Regards.
Xav'

webfork

Re: WinSplit Revolution - A tool for managing your windows

#8 Post by webfork »

Baas:
Does it support multiple monitors?
It does and very well. The catch is you have to move the window into the new monitor, unclick, then click and hold again before it will snap to the edges with the alt+ctrl combo.

Was no big deal for me. I still absolutely love this program.

Xaviou

#10 Post by Xaviou »

This is a bug-fix release (the last one was last month, thanks for the update of the entry, I am Bass)

Have a look at the complete changelog here.
The registry key created by the installer is still here : sorry.

We'll try to remove this in the next release, so it could be completly stealth.

Regards.
Xav'

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

Xaviou wrote:A new version of WinSplit Revolution is available.
Excellent -- thanks for the update.

Xaviou

#12 Post by Xaviou »

Hi to all.

Version 11.04 is now available (bug fix release).
You can see what have been doneon the changelog page here.
Xaviou wrote:The registry key created by the installer is still here : sorry.

We'll try to remove this in the next release, so it could be completly stealth.
The registry key has been removed.
The language of the installer (Frensh or English) is now automatically selected regarding the OS's language.

Regards

Xav'

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

Xaviou wrote:The registry key has been removed. The language of the installer (Frensh or English) is now automatically selected regarding the OS's language.
Excellent. Thanks again.

Xaviou

#14 Post by Xaviou »

Hi.

Due to some bad language detection in some cases, the dialog box for the language detection has been put back.
And with it, the creation of the associated registry key.
But in the case of a portable installation, the registry key is autyomatically removed at the end of the install process.

I don't know if it affects the Stealth attribute of WinSplit, but I would just tell you about it.
So, the installer has been updated today for this, but it is not a new version (the version number and the functionnalities of the application has not changed), so, if you think that it can always been considered as Stealth, there is no need to update the entry in the list.

Regards

Xav'

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

the registry key is autyomatically removed at the end of the install process.

I don't know if it affects the Stealth attribute of WinSplit, but I would just tell you about it.
Although this is a subject of some debate, the official line is that, if the key is removed, its considered stealth.