Writing a non-portable app converter: need apps to test with

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
portable-freak

#46 Post by portable-freak »

Another test, Soulseek Homepage
Unfortunately, it fails miserablyError
The prog installs and runs fine ( WinXP_SP1 ) though.

nycjv321

#47 Post by nycjv321 »

redllar! youre app is aswome!

Test...
7zip
droped the portapotty.exe and the .dll in the same folder as 7zip and it created the portable launcher in a snap and worked great.
p.s.
the icon for PortaPotty is the best usb icon ever

redllar

#48 Post by redllar »

Hey you two, thanks for the feedback. I've downloaded both apps that PP has problems running and will run them through my logger version to see what's up.

portablefreak, that crash dialog looks exactly like what I was getting recently with FuturePinball. I've since fixed the bug (one slightly misplaced line of code) and FuturePinball is running great now, so give me time to test these other apps to see if I can fix them as well, and then I'll upload a new version.

But first I have to go find a really good, free, and hopefully portable registry cleaner to make sure that the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT entries that FuturePinball added get erased so that I can do a proper test on whether FuturePinball and all of its COM objects will run via PP. Any suggestions?

redllar

#49 Post by redllar »

nycjv321 wrote:redllar! youre app is aswome!

Test...
7zip
droped the portapotty.exe and the .dll in the same folder as 7zip and it created the portable launcher in a snap and worked great.
p.s.
the icon for PortaPotty is the best usb icon ever
That's great news. Thanks for letting me know.

That icon is from Everaldo Coelho (http://www.everaldo.com) and Yellow Icon (http://www.yellowicon.com). It comes from his Crystal Clear icon set, which are fantastic IMHO. And he's graciously allowed me to use any of his icons for my freeware apps even though he doesn't use Windows that much anymore. Anyway, thanks for reminding me I need to add his links to the readme.

portable-freak

#50 Post by portable-freak »

Just in case I haven't said it yet, thanks heaps redllar for making this beauty :)
Looking forward to some news then.
Registry cleaner, free and portable ... mmh what about CrapCleaner? ( Link )
To be quite honest, I use Altiris Software Virtualization Solution ( free for personnal use ) so whenever I get fed up with an application, I just delete its layer :)

Fluffy

#51 Post by Fluffy »

Registry cleaner, free and portable: http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=281

And I just tried the portable launcher with 7-Zip, worked fine until I tried messing with the options. Then it just caused the program to hang when I hit OK. Perhaps it has something to do with the context menu stuff, as I did alter that.

[EDIT] No, it just likes to hang all the time. :P

nycjv321

#52 Post by nycjv321 »

yea regseeker is what use but watch out very aggressive registry scanner
and for ccleaner it isnt portable by nature
as i mentioned here...
http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=374

you can use this a portable launcher which take care of the registry and registering of dlls and unregisting of dlls
http://portableapps.com/node/1390

read "Release: Portable CCleaner v.1.2" by Ashes for Tears dont use the on youre home pc because it unregisters the dlls befor exiting and then ure installed version wont see the dlls and then wont run :( and then u have to reinstall it :(

Darkbee

#53 Post by Darkbee »

Yeah, I agree, watch out with RegSeeker... although you can back-up all the deleted keys, this program doesn't take any prisoners.

I believe that the registry cleaner found as part of EasyCleaner is a safer bet.

Failing that I would recommend the non-portable TweakNow RegCleaner Standard, which is free for personal use.

Darkbee

#54 Post by Darkbee »

I have a question:

I just tried WackGet, and this program makes use of another program, the open source wget. Do I just drag wackget.exe to the Porta exe or do I have to drag all files?

I have something that seems to work (by dragging all executable files) but I'm thinking that this is unecessary.

redllar

#55 Post by redllar »

Hey all, thanks again for the encouraging words and for more feedback. I think I have enough to go on for now, so please take a break while I try and catch up, okay? :) Re: the crashes, hangs, etc., that you're all experiencing, I view that as a good sign. Because that means that my crappy code is getting executed. All I need to do is get the code doing what it's supposed to do and then those apps "should" work as well. We'll see.

I found the problem with Foxit PDF Reader. It puts itself into an infinite loop that's caused by the api functions that I haven't coded up re-directions for. PP tells the app that the request failed so the app just keeps retrying endlessly. I have about half of the coding done but it's a complicated bit since I have to merge results from the ini "registry" data with results from the system registry data. So it's probably going to take me the rest of this weekend to get it working properly.

Also thanks for the many suggestions of reg cleaners. CCleaner didn't do the trick but I remembered I had RegShot output. So I manually cleaned out all of the 380 keys left over by the uninstalled app. After that I was able to verify that FP now works consistently when run via PP.

Darkbee, sorry about not trying WackGet yet. I just plain didn't have it added to my testing list, even though I had downloaded it. If wget is started by WackGet, then you should just have to d-n-d it alone. PP will accept multiple dropped files but this early version will only execute the first, IIRC. Since things are working for you I'm assuming WackGet is a GUI wrapper for wget, which is command line driven? If so, it probably's working for you since wget probably doesn't use the registry. WackGet is probably the one using the registry. At least that's the way the UPX wrapper I'm using works.

Andrew Lee

#56 Post by Andrew Lee »

Tried IECookiesView and JPegger today.

Both ran fine when launched using PortaPotty, but the portable EXE could not be created (IAT error) even though I "upx -d" both of them.

Darkbee

#57 Post by Darkbee »

@redllar
Thanks for the response, I think you're right on all counts, I was anticipating answers along the lines of what you have given.

I'm also extremely happy, I now have portable Cathy, huzzah!

Long live FungusApps! :D

Fluffy

#58 Post by Fluffy »

Darkbee wrote:Long live FungusApps! :D
HURRAH! *Raises sword and cheers*

Andrew Lee

#59 Post by Andrew Lee »

xplorer2lite hangs when I exit the program

This only happens on my WinXP SP2 home machine. It does not happen when running on Win2K on my work machine.

It's the same with both the older and latest version of PortaPotty. It's also the same whether I create a portable EXE, or run via PortaPotty.exe.

I am running xplorer2lite V1.5.0.2.

redllar

#60 Post by redllar »

Andrew Lee wrote:Tried IECookiesView and JPegger today.

Both ran fine when launched using PortaPotty, but the portable EXE could not be created (IAT error) even though I "upx -d" both of them.
Yeah, I need to do something about that because I was able to get it to work with a "upx -d"d app, but for some reason the Detours library doesn't see the module list. I think I'm going to put a "Force Build" option in.