PacketStuff - Ethereal, nmap, tcpdump

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
SideWynder

PacketStuff - Ethereal, nmap, tcpdump

#1 Post by SideWynder »

PacketStuff has a collection of well-known network 'tools' that are not only portable in the USB-drive sense of the word, but also in the fact that they don't require WinPcap to be installed on the machine.

I've successfully run Ethereal from my USB drive on a neighbor's PC to verify that nothing else was required.

tcpdump was not quite as successful as the interface names on Windows are not nearly as friendly as their *nix counterpart "eth0".

I think these would make a great addition to the Portable Freeware collection.

Regards,
SW 8)

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

I tried it on WinXP SP2, but the moment I click on Capture, Options, the app hangs and can't be terminated, even by Process Explorer!

I tried it on another machine (Win2K SP4), and the same thing happens, except I could terminate the application using Task Manager.

Anyone else got this to work?

cmmehl

worked here

#3 Post by cmmehl »

I ran ethereal successfully on WinXP (Home, SP2) from my stick. It seemed to save its tempfiles in Documents and Settings, I didn't bother (yet) to check whether this behaviour can be changed somewhere, as this was my own computer.

Greetings
Chris