PaperBack - print data files

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
JohnW

PaperBack - print data files

#1 Post by JohnW »

I stumbled across PaperBack recently.
I would have dismissed it as absurd but it's written by the author of OllyDbg which is a formidable program.

So what is it?

It's a backup program which allows you to backup files to ordinary paper.
The author quotes 3 Megabytes of packed code per A4 page using a 600 dpi Laser printer.
Ink jet printers can be used but unsurprisingly are not as good.
Data is reclaimed using a scanner.

If interested, the site is ...

Code: Select all

http://www.ollydbg.de/
Actually, I don't expect to be using this but weird and imaginative apps appeal to me (and I suspect that they do to some others on this forum!)

guinness

Re: PaperBack v 1.00

#2 Post by guinness »

Yeh I remember this now. I just download and played around with it, somehow it didn't like making a printable version of ClamWin. (I should have tested with something a little smaller :D ) I was using doPDF not a real printer!!

Despite the authors sense of humor, I think its great for security purposes. If Joe Bloggs came across paper with black and white blocks they would probably regard as just gobbledygook, unaware it contained details to a bank account.

Good find.

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Yeh I remember this now. I just download and played around with it, somehow it didn't like making a printable version of ClamWin. (I should have tested with something a little smaller :D ) I was using doPDF not a real printer!!
You can use anything that utilizes lossy compression (I think PDF will store the bitmap in JPEG format).

I tried it on my inkjet printer at 200api on a smallish document (200KB) and it worked (lots of error blocks detected during scanning though).

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

An alternative to PaperBack is the very ubiquitous and survivable QR codes. They can contain up to 2,953 bytes of binary data. Maybe a series of QR codes could be setup for larger data sets?

On a related note: What Size Should A Printed QR Code Be?

The idea came from a QRCode program that makes an excellent point about QR codes: they are a great way to quickly transfer basic information between devices when lacking other means.