Gunners File Type Editor

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
I am Baas

Gunners File Type Editor

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Gunners File Type Editor allows you to you to create/modify various properties for file extensions for the currently logged in user:
  • Create new extension
  • Delete extension
  • Change icon for extension
  • Change description
  • Change perceived type
  • Change MIME content type
  • Change default program used to open extension
  • Edit command line args to pass to program to open extension
  • Compares extensions - Shows what extensions were added or deleted (good to see what an install adds or deletes)
  • Shows user modified and user created extensions
  • Search for an extension
  • Modify Open With program list that explorer uses
  • Edit DDE info for extension
  • Modify EditFlags for extension
  • Admin mode allows you to do all of the above but system wide
Main Window

Open WIth Editor

Edit Properties

Requirements: Windows 2000 and later
Download the .zip package @ http://www.gunnerinc.com/downloads.htm

Should it be added to the DB given the nature of this program?

guinness

Re: Gunners File Type Editor

#2 Post by guinness »

Why not, if it's Portable then yes it should be :)

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

> Should it be added to the DB given the nature of this program?

The nature of the program? Something that edits the shell the registry to better handle file types? We've got several of those but I don't think anything that handles icons.

Gunner

#4 Post by Gunner »

I have added many features that I have not found in any other file type editor type program So I think this is one of a kind.... I am open to suggestions for any other features you may want :D I thank the OP for a link to my site!

~Rob
(Gunner)
http://gunnerinc.com

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

Thanks for joining this forum, Rob (Gunner).

A quick question about the restore feature in GFTE, does it restore to a system default properties? I do not see a backup option before a change is made.

Hydaral

#6 Post by Hydaral »

Looks useful. I do all my associations using batch files at the moment, but this gives me an easy way of looking at what is currently configured.

For an app that has the sole purpose of modifying the registry, I think we should expect a certain amount of registry modification. :) As long as it does not store its own settings in the registry or file system (which it doesn't) then i think it should be added.

tproli

#7 Post by tproli »

Thanks Gunner, GFTE really looks promising. Though I do not plan to replace Assox I have to admit you've done a really good job.

Assox has no GUI (only minimal) but maybe you could have a look at it and perhaps you'll find some functions to implement in GFTE.

Keep up the good work!

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Gunner wrote:I am open to suggestions for any other features you may want
This may be a bad suggestion and simply wrong for the system customization you're thinking of but a "temporary mode" to make changes while the program is running and restoring them back to normal when the program closes. The reason is (of course) portability: being able to have file types looking the way we want them and pointing the the programs we want on any computer.

That feature by itself would be cool, but if you could then make your program work with relative pathways, it would likely find a home on many key drives.

We have something that will do that (Coffee) but only on double-clicking files. Based on the program description, it sounds like your program does much more.

Gunner

#9 Post by Gunner »

I am Baas wrote:Thanks for joining this forum, Rob (Gunner).

A quick question about the restore feature in GFTE, does it restore to a system default properties? I do not see a backup option before a change is made.
Not going to get technical, but yes it restores to the system default for that particular extension. So if you make mods to txt, then restore.. everything should return to normal....

BTW I have my own forums for my software on my site...

~Rob
(Gunner)

Gunner

#10 Post by Gunner »

Hydaral wrote:Looks useful. I do all my associations using batch files at the moment, but this gives me an easy way of looking at what is currently configured.

For an app that has the sole purpose of modifying the registry, I think we should expect a certain amount of registry modification. :) As long as it does not store its own settings in the registry or file system (which it doesn't) then i think it should be added.

If I were to have any settings, I would use an ini file and NOT the registry..... :wink:

Gunner

#11 Post by Gunner »

webfork wrote:
Gunner wrote:I am open to suggestions for any other features you may want
This may be a bad suggestion and simply wrong for the system customization you're thinking of but a "temporary mode" to make changes while the program is running and restoring them back to normal when the program closes. The reason is (of course) portability: being able to have file types looking the way we want them and pointing the the programs we want on any computer.

That feature by itself would be cool, but if you could then make your program work with relative pathways, it would likely find a home on many key drives.

We have something that will do that (Coffee) but only on double-clicking files. Based on the program description, it sounds like your program does much more.
Actually, never thought about that... That sounds like a great idea! I only use my computer so don't have experience with portable stuff, but if you are logged in as a user then your modifications ONLY affect the user logged on. All the programs I have seen modify extension settings system wide and NOT per user, that is one of the reasons I made GFTE the way I did, but a temp mode sounds good and I will look into that....

~Rob
(Gunner)

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

Gunner wrote:a temp mode sounds good and I will look into that....
Fantastic. I'm very glad you joined the forums.
Gunner wrote:I only use my computer so don't have experience with portable stuff
Agreed. Yet as much as I'm involved with portable software, I don't really use it on public terminals or off of thumb drives.

Instead, I've found its indispensable for for backups and at work. If your computer sinks, you can be back up and running in minutes rather than hours. I've been working on a paper, had a motherboard die, swapped out the drive, and got back to work in less than an hour with all my settings and functionality working seamlessly between two systems. At jobs I've had, I can't install anything on very locked down systems but portable software never has any trouble.

I am Baas

#13 Post by I am Baas »

addictivetips review... http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... more-28259

A bit busy atm, will add to TPFC later.

guinness

#14 Post by guinness »

I am Baas

#15 Post by I am Baas »

Thank you, guinness :D