USBFlashCopy

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
guinness

USBFlashCopy

#1 Post by guinness »

Tested: Portable
USBFlashCopy is a small Windows utility to back up your flash drives and storage cards on the fly. It runs in the background and copies files from inserted media to a safe location on your hard drive.
Download: http://www.usbflashcopy.com/download/download.html

I am Baas

Re: USBFlashCopy

#2 Post by I am Baas »

USBFlashCopy is at V1.6 (2011-08-05):
- Added filter to exclude files of specified types (or by mask)
- Added Docs file type (includes XLS, XLSX, DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPTX, RTF, TXT, ODT, ODS, ODP files)
- Added "Browse..." button to choose destination path
- Added "%MyDocs%" macro to specify My Documents folder in a destination path
http://www.usbflashcopy.com/download/download.html

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Great find, extremely useful. Thanks. :)

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:Great find, extremely useful. Thanks. :)
Agreed. That's an awesome idea for backing up media.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Went back and did some more extensive testing and I really like this program.

Short version

Greatly simplifies the process of backing up flash drive files with lots of nice options. Other backup programs here on the site have a ton of options and features -- what sets this apart is its simplicity: plug in and walk away.

Slideshow Screencaps .PNG (for Opera and Mozilla browsers) and .GIF for all others

Target audiences
  • Portable software users who use their key drives frequently and want to backup their settings and programs. This will only copy what changed since the last time the drive was connected.
  • High end computing (Photoshop/Autocad/3D authors) who have access a high end/cluster computer at work and want to save to their slow computer at home.
  • People who have a huge hard drive but a small flash drive and want to keep one from filling up (would just delete everything on flash drive after copy)
Features of note
  • Will copy based on the unique drive serial number so every drive gets its own settings
  • File inclusions and exclusions by file extension (including broad categories of video, audio, docs)
  • Option to overwrite old files (to mirror) or keep copy of old files option (keep multiple versions of modified files).
  • Can modify how often the program checks for removable media (every 5 seconds) as well as checks after a successful copy (by default set for 1 hour)
  • Very customizable speed settings
Wishlist
  • Important
    • Auto-copy controls by drive by profile - right now, you can't set it to copy when you insert the drive depending on what you plug in. Only works by drive letter.
    Minor/inconsequential
    • Mirror option (delete files not on the flash drive). Most users wouldn't need this.
    • Right now, the program will copy over the directory structure even if you only want to copy over a few file types. Should only copy over folders that have the file types you want in them. (e.g. if you set the program to copy pictures and only have any picture files in f:\pictures\, it should ignore the other directories).
    • The auto-copy function of the registered version could be used for nefarious purposes by setting all drives attached to the system to automatically copy their contents over to the main drive. However, a reasonably savvy attacker wouldn't need this tool to accomplish that if they can compromise a machine. Still, I'm glad the author has made that option only available to folks who purchase the program.
Addition: reasonably resource friendly, using only 2.7 megs of RAM.

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

Great review webfork. Thanks.

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

guinness wrote:Great review webfork. Thanks.
I concur. :P

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:
guinness wrote:Great review webfork. Thanks.
I concur. :P

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

FreeFileSync has a program inside it to execute evidently when a drive is inserted (posted to a related thread). I don't know how it handles changing drive locations, which USBFlashCopy seems a little more suited for.

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

guinness

#11 Post by guinness »

Thanks webfork.

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:Thanks webfork.
Sure thing

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

A similar program CopyToFlash is also available for no-interaction copying to an external drive by the developer of QuickHash.
CopyToFlash is a ZERO-CLICK utility I wrote for my own need of copying content to several hundred flash drives for distribution.

Basically it starts a drive monitor to detect when a flash drive is plugged into the system, and when that happens it copies the content to the flash drive, then waits on removal and insertion of a new flash drive before copying the content again to the new drive – all accomplished with ZERO CLICKS (after the initial content selection, that is.)
License: freeware

The program has seen some recent development vs. USBFlashCopy, but it's portability is untested.