GPGShell

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
rokth

GPGShell

#1 Post by rokth »

Think of it as an alternative to gpg4usb, with more features.

It was kinda tricky figuring how to make it portable so after looking at what copy2usb did(was in the manual) I have a small run down on how to make it portable.

Dependencies/Requires/Needs:
GPG 1.4.9 or newer (1.4.11 is the last afaik)

Install:
Extract with universal extractor and copy the contents of {sys} into {apps} and rename {apps}
if files have an underscore before them that is okay, they're supposed to look like that.
create the following files, don't worry they're just empty files to make the programs portable

Code: Select all

GPGkeys.exe.local
GPGtools.exe.local
GPGtray.exe.local
GPGconfig.exe.local
GPGsfx.exe.local
GPGview.exe.local
create an ini file (gpgshell.ini) containing the following lines

Code: Select all

#################################################################################
# Make sure that you close all GPGshell-applications before you edit this file. #
#################################################################################

[Advanced]
GNUPGHOME=.\GnuPG-Home
LANGUAGE=

[GPGtools]
_ExePath=.\gpgtools.exe
WorkFilesNum=1

[Settings]
Language=Default
ShellHomeDir=.\GPGshell-Home
GnuPG_ExePath=.\gpg.exe
PGPdump_ExePath=
InfoZip_ExePath=.\_sfx\unzipsfx.exe
BackupKeyRings=0

Might want to set the ini file to read only after that.

Should work famously

Update: Link to private entry

GPG and where to get it.
(I used gnupg-w32cli-1.4.11.exe)
http://www.gnupg.org/download/
ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/

Download and extract with uiextract. Drop the contents of $INSTDIR into GpgShell's appdir.

ShFolder.dll
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... 0F&pf=true Official link
Last edited by rokth on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.

webfork

Re: GPGShell

#2 Post by webfork »

I attempted something similar without success about a year ago. Nice work.

rokth

#3 Post by rokth »

Thanks. I've been using this off and on for years, 5+. The portable build was used to be a bit more glitchy but it seems to have balanced out. I can't wait to see this on the front page.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

rokth wrote:I can't wait to see this on the front page.
There aren't many regulars here on the site aside from myself really interested in GPG. That doesn't reflect on anyone here in the forums: even some of the most techy, paranoid people I know for whatever reason refuse to use GPG. I'm not sure why that is.

Currently, I don't have a system setup available to test for portability and get it posted, so hopefully someone is feeling generous.

rokth

#5 Post by rokth »

I would have thought that since gpg4usb was on the site someone must be interested. And since this has more features and usability it would have been big, well, I'll wait for someone to feel generous.

rokth

#6 Post by rokth »

Also, to add gpg just extract gpg installer into appdir and call it good. Works great. I'm using 1.4.9 myself.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

rokth wrote:I would have thought that since gpg4usb was on the site someone must be interested. And since this has more features and usability it would have been big, well, I'll wait for someone to feel generous.
Gauging interest in a particular idea or software is always hard. I'm very interested, and have multiple direct uses for such software, but because of its relative complexity, PGP/GPG is still a very niche-use software.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

I just edited the private entry in the event that gets used. As the extract instructions are rather long, I'd like to point the extract instructions to a forum post, but that's no biggie.

> Dependencies: Gpg.exe ShFolder.dll Windows 95/98/NT4

Where can these be downloaded?

Also, need some clearer instructions on how to get the Windows GPG binaries on your system. I had problems with this and I've worked with GPG quite a bit.

rokth

#9 Post by rokth »

ShFolder.dll
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... 0F&pf=true Official link
Will edit on how to get gpg 1.4.9 extracted.
Questions answered?

rokth

#10 Post by rokth »

Seems I cannot edit the entry I made for this anymore So I can't seem to add in the requested info.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

rokth wrote:Seems I cannot edit the entry I made for this anymore So I can't seem to add in the requested info.
That's my fault, sorry. Until you hit 50 posts, you can't edit live entries, only private ones. Just post whatever changes you'd like to add here to the forum and I'll add them.

rokth

#12 Post by rokth »

Eh, it's awwright. [s]Actually I have a icon dump converted to gif[/s]NVM seems someone beat me to it, I'd have a screen shot but there isn't really any one good screen cap to make of it IMO but I can toss a few up for someone to make an animated gif out of.

Edit: Slowbro is slow.
Edit2: The pgp keyring in can be used alongside thunderbird+enigmail last I checked.