Windows 8 Latest News

Any other tech-related topics
lautrepay

Re: Windows 8 Latest News

#61 Post by lautrepay »

SYSTEM wrote:I installed Classic Shell. I'm fed up with the lack of Start button.
Classic Shell is a great non-portable software, not only for Win 8, but also for Vista and 7.
And an excellent workaround for the horrendous bug that doesn't allow the users to reorganize the Start Menu items on those SO.

Midas

#62 Post by Midas »

I became a Classic Shell user, too -- just couldn't cope with 7's interface nonsense...

BTW, here's an appraisal of Windows 8 usability:
http://xpwasmyidea.blogspot.com/2012/08 ... onger.html

Userfriendly

#63 Post by Userfriendly »

Midas wrote:I became a Classic Shell user, too -- just couldn't cope with 7's interface nonsense...

BTW, here's an appraisal of Windows 8 usability:
http://xpwasmyidea.blogspot.com/2012/08 ... onger.html
Man, all this Windows 8 hate is overblown. It works EXACTLY the same as windows 7 but with better file explorer features and a Start Screen which is just a different looking way to launch or search applications... kinda like a start menu? All these 'Tech Experts' that claim its unusable maybe need to get a new job if they have hard time navigating it.

It just boggles me all these people point out these 'flaws' about windows 8 but I don't really see it. At least it doesn't affect me in the slightest. I actually think the interface of windows 8 is much better than windows 7. I use the start screen more than I've ever used the start menu and that's not much at all. They say start screen disrupts workflow? Shit, maybe they need to change the way they work because I don't see that happening to me at all. I actually find it easier to launch apps from the start screen then a tiny start menu with many folder submenus. Once you get used to it, you can quickly launch whatever you want just from spatial memory because you know where the icon was placed on the start screen when you first open it. Navigating with just a mouse and scrollwheel is just fine. Don't even really need keyboard shortcuts or a touchscreen to make it useable like people claim.

Andrew Lee

#64 Post by Andrew Lee »

Windows 8: The Animated Evaluation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo

Userfriendly

#65 Post by Userfriendly »

Andrew Lee wrote:Windows 8: The Animated Evaluation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo
Yes, that video review is one of those hyperbolic examples of windows 8 bashing im talking about. If its so unusable, how the hell am I using it? He complains about lack of control. His example is the metro apps system and how annoying it is because its full screen and has no idea how to close it. First of all, you don't have to use metro apps on the desktop and second there are like 4 ways to close them. It didn't take me long to figure it out just by playing with a few hours. This guy a supposed to be a tech journalist with a lot of experience on various operating systems and he couldn't?. What BS. He couldn't find the control panel? Jeebus, you could right click the bottom left corner and you see a nifty menu with admin utilities which includes control panel. You don't need to open the charms bar at all. His other complains were just mostly nitpicks. Like that context crap, how hard is it to mouse over to the corner of a screen? Hot corners were hinted during OS install. When you mouse over the bottom left you'll see a charms hint with a thumbnail of the start screen and it says "Start" on it. BAM! you learned how to use windows 8. There really isn't much to learn about it. Everything he complained about could be solved with a little bit of experimenting.

But I certainly feel smarter than the guy who did that video which is funny because he says he ain't dumb. His video suggested otherwise. That's one good thing about windows 8. Casuals struggling with it while I feel sorta superior in someway because I can adapt with change.

The only real change to adapt to is the START SCREEN people. Even that is easy to learn. Everything else is the same dang windows we are all used to.

Firewrath

#66 Post by Firewrath »

Well I didn't want to comment on this thread, because ...yeah, but I guess will...
Also, I don't have Win8, muchless Win7. I can't afford to upgrade my PC. Don't worry though, my comments are based on more then reading "Win8 sucks and XP was the 'B3st Ev4h' articles/threads.
Userfriendly wrote: The only real change to adapt to is the START SCREEN people. Even that is easy to learn. Everything else is the same dang windows we are all used to.
XPwasmyidea wrote: The problem with upgrading isn't about adapting to change or fear of learning new ways to work.
So yeah. It goes a bit deeper then the new UI.
While I'm one of those who doesn't like it, it's because I like using the desktop, and shock, I don't use the start menu either. Other then 'most used programs list' for a couple of programs I don't want an icon to. I mainly use quick menus on my taskbar for all the programs I use, and the desktop to hold things like text files, folders, and a lot of shortcuts to the programs I want the fastest access to.

I have three problems with the Metro UI.
First, they changed it so you can't skip past it. They basically force you to use it.
Second, an issue some people seem to have, that if you install older programs on Win8 that create a bunch of start menu folders/shortcuts/etc. Those clutter up the Metro UI, making it harder to sort through. Subfolders in the start menu / quick menus are awesome for this. In Metro, not so much.

And the most important reason:
Microsoft wants to move to a closed system. Meaning no program can be installed unless it's through the Windows App Store.
I'm surprised more people aren't ticked off about this. Specially around here.
People come to defend it saying:
"No. No. That's just Metro Apps."

No. It's going to Start with Meto Apps. By Win9 or Win10 Mircosoft wants to be moved into a completely closed off system. MaximumPC had a small paragraph article where they barely mentioned it an issue or two ago. To me, it should have gotten a Lot more coverage.

People also say:
"Well that means there wont be any viruses."

Yeah. Cause that works so well for the mobile market in general. -_-
Although it's at least a semi-valid point. There probably would be less viruses, and most of them would be 0 day infections from 'New' apps in the store which could be quickly removed.

But. I should still be able to install whatever program I want on to my PC. It's Mine. I paid for it. I'll do whatever I want to it. It's not up to Microsoft to sit there and tell me what I can and can't install on my own system. >.<!
(Gee, guess how I feel about politics. ;))

Anyways. Yeah. Those are my issues.
If I ever get the money to buy a new PC. It'll be Win7 at most.
Or if I can't get Win7 anymore by then, I'll move over to some minimalist version of Linux with Wine. Though honestly I'd hope ReactOS is up and working by then.

Userfriendly

#67 Post by Userfriendly »

Firewrath wrote:I have three problems with the Metro UI.
First, they changed it so you can't skip past it. They basically force you to use it.
If you're talking about on first boot. You can skip it by simply clicking on the desktop tile or pressing enter if you put it on the first row on the top left. It just one keypress or mouseclick. Besides what do you do when you boot up to the desktop anyway? I'm sure most people launch whatever program they're gonna work on. Having the Start Screen shown first on boot makes sense because there you can launch an application right away.
Firewrath wrote: Second, an issue some people seem to have, that if you install older programs on Win8 that create a bunch of start menu folders/shortcuts/etc. Those clutter up the Metro UI, making it harder to sort through. Subfolders in the start menu / quick menus are awesome for this. In Metro, not so much.
This is the 'All Apps' screen you're talking about. This screen you shouldn't be seeing that often if you got all the applications you use most often pinned to the main start screen. Even then, not that hard to navigate since its all in alphabetical order with nice large icons. People say you need a touchscreen in order for it to be easy to use but its quite easy just using the mouse.

Start Screen was obviously made for the touchscreen but it works well with mouse/keyboard too. Efficiency and ease is not a problem for both ways. Thats a big advantage for the start screen. Can you use touch on the old start menu? I can imagine it not working too well.

Your last reason is FUD. We don't know what will happen. Consumers and developers will decide what Microsoft will do. I'm also sure this is only for Windows RT. Closing down the desktop OS is clearly suicide. A business like Microsoft wouldn't want to kill itself just like that. They're smart enough to know that I'm sure.

SYSTEM

#68 Post by SYSTEM »

Userfriendly wrote: It just boggles me all these people point out these 'flaws' about windows 8 but I don't really see it. At least it doesn't affect me in the slightest. I actually think the interface of windows 8 is much better than windows 7. I use the start screen more than I've ever used the start menu and that's not much at all. They say start screen disrupts workflow? Shit, maybe they need to change the way they work because I don't see that happening to me at all.
Well, it disrupted my workflow. Of course, your mileage may vary.
Userfriendly wrote: If its so unusable, how the hell am I using it?
Keep in mind that you're a power user.

Windows 8 is not like Visual Studio (which is only used by software developers) or Photoshop (where most users are image editing experts). It's an operating system that everyone in the world is supposed to use. As a result, its UI should be either familiar or very easy to learn. It's neither.
Userfriendly wrote: His example is the metro apps system and how annoying it is because its full screen and has no idea how to close it. First of all, you don't have to use metro apps on the desktop and second there are like 4 ways to close them.
Could you tell me the other two? I only know of "drag the app to the bottom of the screen" and Task Manager.
Userfriendly wrote: He couldn't find the control panel? Jeebus, you could right click the bottom left corner and you see a nifty menu with admin utilities which includes control panel.
How on earth would you expect a casual user to right-click the bottom-left corner of the screen hoping that something useful will happen?
Userfriendly wrote: There really isn't much to learn about it. Everything he complained about could be solved with a little bit of experimenting.
But there should be nothing to learn about it. Quoting Evil Brain Jono, "[t]here's no UI better than one you already know". Every time the user interface is changed significantly, there should be a very good reason. Microsoft doesn't have one.
Userfriendly wrote: But I certainly feel smarter than the guy who did that video which is funny because he says he ain't dumb. His video suggested otherwise. That's one good thing about windows 8. Casuals struggling with it while I feel sorta superior in someway because I can adapt with change.
If casuals are struggling with an operating system, there is something wrong with the OS.
Firewrath wrote: But. I should still be able to install whatever program I want on to my PC. It's Mine. I paid for it. I'll do whatever I want to it. It's not up to Microsoft to sit there and tell me what I can and can't install on my own system. >.<!
(Gee, guess how I feel about politics. ;))
Agreed. If Microsoft really locks down Windows, I'll find a way to break the lock. Trust me.
Userfriendly wrote:
Firewrath wrote:I have three problems with the Metro UI.
If you're talking about on first boot. You can skip it by simply clicking on the desktop tile or pressing enter if you put it on the first row on the top left. It just one keypress or mouseclick. Besides what do you do when you boot up to the desktop anyway? I'm sure most people launch whatever program they're gonna work on. Having the Start Screen shown first on boot makes sense because there you can launch an application right away.
I think he's talking about the Start screen being the only way to launch programs.

I believe that Microsoft is forcing us to use the Modern UI once in a while to make it familiar. That would be a huge advantage to Windows 8 RT tablets and Windows Phone mobile phones.

Microsoft is treating billions of Windows users like board game pieces.
Userfriendly wrote:Consumers and developers will decide what Microsoft will do.
If so, Modern UI would have never seen the light of day.
Userfriendly wrote:Closing down the desktop OS is clearly suicide.
No. I'm afraid they will succeed and earn a lot of money. :(
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#69 Post by Midas »

SYSTEM wrote:Quoting Evil Brain Jono, "[t]here's no UI better than one you already know". Every time the user interface is changed significantly, there should be a very good reason. Microsoft doesn't have one.
Bull's eye! Spot on! It got me trying to get a 'hackintosh' running rather than endure through another MS OS upgrade... :evil:

Andrew Lee

#70 Post by Andrew Lee »

Time will tell, but I am of the opinion that MS has screwed up big time with Windows 8.

The tablet and desktop interface were joined at the hips in the clumsiest way possible, and the Windows vs Windows RT issue is sure going to cause a lot of consumer confusion. It would have been better to have a full-on Metro UI for RT tablets only, and reserve the desktop interface for Intel/AMD laptops/ultrabooks.

I mean, I _know_ the motivations for them wanting to shaft this down consumers' throats, but boy, God knows how they think they can pull this one off. Desperations of a falling empire, I guess.

I am not stupid. I am a power user. I have lived through the entire PC revolution. Apple ][, IBM PC etc. I have used MacOS, all versions of Windows, a few varieties of Windows Manager on Linux, iOS (briefly), now Android. I have evaluated Windows 8 when it was developer's pre-release, then consumer pre-release, then gold. Never have I seen such an abominable beast. :shock:

Let's hope they come to their senses and re-evaluate their tablet/desktop stretegy in the next product iteration.

webfork

#72 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:
Userfriendly wrote: If its so unusable, how the hell am I using it?
Keep in mind that you're a power user.

Windows 8 is not like Visual Studio (which is only used by software developers) or Photoshop (where most users are image editing experts). It's an operating system that everyone in the world is supposed to use. As a result, its UI should be either familiar or very easy to learn. It's neither.
I haven't used Win8 yet, but I think this is an important point. It's a place where tech journalists frequently get stuck: they use something, they're able to get around, they give it positive review. For the broader challenge of making computers more accessible and effective that translates into productivity and wider adoption, technical people have to try and put themselves in the place of being semi or non-techy. Some articles try to replace this with being short on time and patience, but that's not quite the same thing. For example, Blackberry survived for a very long time by being very effective for very busy people, but lacking broad appeal (to say nothing of their recent troubles).

Similarly, there are several programs here on the site that I absolutely love but I wouldn't recommend to anyone that wasn't quite tech savvy (FileVerifier++ and Coffee among them). It's frustrating to send someone a bug report and then try to explain it's a vague behavior "feeling" issue. Similarly, I've had developers complain to me that "responsiveness" is totally relative. I can't find who said it originally but in development it's hard to make things easy and it's easy to make things hard.

Userfriendly

#73 Post by Userfriendly »

The thing is, a lot of reviews only criticize one small part of the OS which is the Start Screen. 90% of Windows 8 is just like windows 7. The desktop is the the same desktop people use in previous versions of windows. Many of them ignore the mostly improved parts of windows 8 like the improved performances. It definitely made my core2duo feel like brand new with the UI definitely more responsive. I haven't tested any benchmarks but I'm sure it's faster if not the same as windows 7. It also has the advantage of using Windows Store apps which win7 definitely can't access. Sure most of the apps aren't useful but it's there if you want them.

As for ease of use, it's completely easy! I'm disappointed in some of you who I thought were tech savvy folks! Even my dad and sister who aren't power users at all can get around the Start Screen. I set them up Windows 8 on the PC's and taught them the differences of the Start Screen, how to pin stuff, using and navigating modern ui apps etc, in about 15 minutes and they were off on their way. They actually like the whole thing! They approached it without any bias since they knew nothing about Windows 8 in the first place.

It's just a different way to launch applications. You don't have to use it for the modern ui apps. A lot of people stay on the desktop most of the time anyway and hardly see the Start Screen at all in normal usage. It feels like people are just whining about it because its different from what they're used to without even using the dang thing. People are being swept up by terrible whiny reviews like this one http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/why-i-m ... -windows-8 and the youtube video above. Most of the criticisms are nitpicks or completely untrue. All these reviews tell me nothing about windows 8 but tells me everything about how the reviewers are just ignorant and lack the technical aptitude to be in the IT industry.

But I guess what's important is my dad and sister can use it just fine and so can I. So I'm done trying stop the misinformation being spread on this crap. There's so much negativity/whining on the internet about anything and sometimes it becomes of gigantic circlejerk of people who have no clue about things and just go along with it. Be it software, music, TV shows, movies, videogames, sports, etc. Just a big cesspool of hate that I'm tired of. It just kinda ticks me off that some people are just so set on their ways that they are averse to change no matter what it is.

joby_toss

#74 Post by joby_toss »

I hate Windows 8 !
Never tried it, never seen it in action !
Still hate it, though !

Midas

#75 Post by Midas »

Userfriendly wrote:The thing is, a lot of reviews only criticize one small part of the OS which is the Start Screen. 90% of Windows 8 is just like windows 7. The desktop is the the same desktop people use in previous versions of windows. Many of them ignore the mostly improved parts of windows 8 like the improved performances. It definitely made my core2duo feel like brand new with the UI definitely more responsive. I haven't tested any benchmarks but I'm sure it's faster if not the same as windows 7. It also has the advantage of using Windows Store apps which win7 definitely can't access. Sure most of the apps aren't useful but it's there if you want them.
I won't dispute that a lot of tech reviews aren't worth the time you spend reading them, laden with shallow opinions and lack of real technical insight. I'm glad to know that 8 is possibly nimbler; it means there's a possibility some good will come of it, for example once those devious fellas at http://reboot.pro/ really take a go at it, striping away the interface non-sense to expose the nuggets at the core... :mrgreen:
Userfriendly wrote:As for ease of use, it's completely easy! I'm disappointed in some of you who I thought were tech savvy folks! Even my dad and sister who aren't power users at all can get around the Start Screen. I set them up Windows 8 on the PC's and taught them the differences of the Start Screen, how to pin stuff, using and navigating modern ui apps etc, in about 15 minutes and they were off on their way. They actually like the whole thing! They approached it without any bias since they knew nothing about Windows 8 in the first place.
Newcomers will find acceptable anything you throw at them for lack of comparing elements; and touch devices are in fact simpler to operate, in fact that's their main appeal. But once you progress to high-school, third grade classes just won't do, will they? :wink:
Userfriendly wrote:It's just a different way to launch applications. You don't have to use it for the modern ui apps. A lot of people stay on the desktop most of the time anyway and hardly see the Start Screen at all in normal usage. It feels like people are just whining about it because its different from what they're used to without even using the dang thing. People are being swept up by terrible whiny reviews like this one http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/why-i-m ... -windows-8 and the youtube video above. Most of the criticisms are nitpicks or completely untrue. All these reviews tell me nothing about windows 8 but tells me everything about how the reviewers are just ignorant and lack the technical aptitude to be in the IT industry.
Actually, that article sums it up pretty good. But what I really, really hate is how Microsoft nonchalantly disposes of my hard earned savvy, amassed over decades, in order to pursue their next big thing of the moment, that no one will even remember in a couple of years. Remember Project Origami? I do... (and still have some of its mortal remains laying around) :roll:
Userfriendly wrote:But I guess what's important is my dad and sister can use it just fine and so can I. So I'm done trying stop the misinformation being spread on this crap. There's so much negativity/whining on the internet about anything and sometimes it becomes of gigantic circlejerk of people who have no clue about things and just go along with it. Be it software, music, TV shows, movies, videogames, sports, etc. Just a big cesspool of hate that I'm tired of. It just kinda ticks me off that some people are just so set on their ways that they are averse to change no matter what it is.
You won't find a bigger gadget loving technophile tinkerer (if excessively maladroit) than yours truly; and it ain't really hate, is more like a grudging disdain: been there, seen that, rather walk away... :twisted: