RegRapper to the rescue?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Darkbee

RegRapper to the rescue?

#1 Post by Darkbee »

Sadly not :(

I tried to use it with the registered version of AceMoney but apparently there is a problem with restoring the serial number to the registry before AceMoney checks to see if it is there.

It's hard to determine the exact behaviour of AceMoney but something is going wrong somewhere.

Just when I thought I'd got rid of one less installed app... bummer! :cry:

[edit]I suppose this thread should really be in the payware section but I was curious to know if anyone else has had problems with RegRapper (so this discussion isn't so much about AceMoney, of which there is a free 'lite' version for the record)?[/edit]

Deuce

Darkbee..

#2 Post by Deuce »

I created Registry Rapper, Can you tell me exactly what the problem is???

And what version of Registry Rapper are you using??

Thanks,

Darkbee

#3 Post by Darkbee »

I would encourage you to read the notice at the bottom of this post first.

I am using version 1.8.0.0 of RegRapper and version 3.8.3 of AceMoney (registered version).

I'm not sure what the problem was, but for some reason, RegRapper seemed to restore all registry settings, except for the serial number. Thus, every time I would start the "portable" version, I'd still prompted to enter in my registration information. I have since retried the entire RegRapper configuration process, starting from scratch, and it seems to work.

What I did was:

1. Install AceMoney to fixed location, run it and enter my registration information.
2. Configure RegRapper as below

Code: Select all

[DIRSETTINGS]
PROGRAMDIRECTORY=.

[PROGSETTINGS]
DEVNAME=MechCad Software
APPNAME=AceMoney
EXECUTABLE=AceMoney

[REGSETTINGS]
REGFILE=Settings\Settings.reg
MANREGKEY=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MechCAD\AceMoney
[/size]
3. Copy necessary AceMoney files from original install to portable location
4. Uninstall original instance of AceMoney.

This now seems to work.

Important Notice: Since my original post, I have been in contact with the developers of AceMoney, MechCad Software, to see if they plan to release a portable version. They inform me that it is currently against the licence agreement to have a registered version of AceMoney running on more than one machine. With that in mind, individuals should be aware that any activities to attempt to make AceMoney "portable" could be considered illegal. MechCad Software also informed me that they do plan to make AceMoney portable and the licence agreement will change accordingly at that time.

Darkbee

#4 Post by Darkbee »

Since I have RegRappers developer's attention :lol: I do have one general question about it: Does the regrapper.ini file always have to reside in a child folder to the RegRapper exe, called Settings?

Deuce

#5 Post by Deuce »

1. I am glad it worked for you, I have seen this too, it usually happens when an existing ini is changed for the new program. don't know why, I usually just start with a new ini when it happens and it always fixes it.

2. As for acemonkey license. I created registry rapper to allow the use of programs as portable, it is a rapping program period, but what programs users make portable is up to them, they just need to take a glance at the license agreement and make sure they can do I do not condone breaking of any agreement just o make anapp portable for a users use.

That said, thanks for the update, if I ever heare anything about it being used I will let people know.

3. With registry rapper, yes it needs to stay in settings, I coded it this way so the reg settings and everything with them stay in that particular location for troubleshooting purposes. I will be changing that in the upcoming version to allow the users to change it as they please. But that will be at a later time.

Also take a look at QuickPort Template here: http://www.portasoft.org/e107/page.php?23. it is a program template I built, that allows you to create your own self contained portable programs, without an ini file and you can change the file locations just take a look at the readme and the code itself. for an example, take a look at Portable WinHTTrack here: http://www.portasoft.org/e107/page.php?22. It was created with the template.

Toxteth O'Grady

#6 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

RegRapper is a nice program, but it fails at some occasions. I think the biggest problem is the fact that it doesn't work when multiple keys are used (although I have a program that uses only one,as far as I know, that sometimes doesn't work).
With the burning program Feurio it didn't even find the right key (settings), but the one with the link to the uninstaller.

That's why I simply use a good old.bat file to do the job on these ocasions. With that you can import as many keys as needed before running a program and export and delete them from the registry afterwards. Of course this could also be used for files. Real portability. :)

soliars

#7 Post by soliars »

I sympathize with you。
But in fact, I just can did nothing with it either.