[GAME] Free Orion

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
h3kt0r

[GAME] Free Orion

#1 Post by h3kt0r »

FreeOrion is a free, open source, turn-based space empire and galactic conquest (4X) computer game being designed and built by the FreeOrion project. FreeOrion is inspired by the tradition of the Master of Orion games, but is not a clone or remake of that series or any other game.
Homepage

Steps : Just extract the installer with "UniExtract". Or install -> zip resulting folder -> uninstall -> extract zipped folder.
Status : not portable. Writes to configuration file "config.xml" in \Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion\

webfork

Re: [GAME] Free Orion

#2 Post by webfork »

Screenshot:

I was also pleased to see a similar effort for the sister project Master of Magic: https://sourceforge.net/projects/momime/ (untested)

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:50 pm I was also pleased to see a similar effort for the sister project Master of Magic: https://sourceforge.net/projects/momime/ (untested)
I tested this out some and was really pleased with the fidelity to the original. There unfortunately doesn't appear to be a save function -- it seems like if you close the server window, it loses your game.

h3kt0r

#4 Post by h3kt0r »

Didn't knew about Master of Magic. I'll try this next week.
Have played Free Orion 50+ hours this week and it's a great game.
I'm playing along this strategy guide lines and it's okay.
The game AI is really aggressive, so for a starter, you might want to put it at a lower level than the default one.
I'm really impressed by the overall quality of this free game. Recommended !
Also : there's an option to select a folder of your choice to store configuration and saved games.
It's on the last tab of the configuration screen.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

h3kt0r wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:02 pm Have played Free Orion 50+ hours this week and it's a great game.
I'll dig into it. I'm a big open source fan but in terms of games I've rarely spent more than an hour on open games. They tend to be (like the Master of Magic clone) unfinished.