Leatrix Latency Fix

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Marc

Leatrix Latency Fix

#1 Post by Marc »

What does it do?

Leatrix Latency Fix will reduce your online gaming latency significantly by increasing the frequency of TCP acknowledgements sent to the game server. For the technically minded, this is a program which will modify TCPAckFrequency.

You will see reduced latency in many online games including World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Star Wars, Rift, Aion, Warhammer, Lord of the Rings, and more.

System Requirements

Leatrix Latency Fix is supported on these operating systems only.

Windows 8
Windows 7
Windows Vista (SP1 or higher)
Windows XP (SP3)

Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows are supported.
Macintosh users should read the guide here.
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/09/17/lower- ... tency-fix/
Author's Homepage
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... cyFix.html

It was tagged as "portable software" in ghacks article, apparently it installs a driver upon clicking "install" in the program interface. IIRC I read in some TPFC entry "due to the nature of the application it can be considered portable", does this application qualify as portable?

Other than that from my experience using LLF is great for wireless connections, but in local area wired connections it slowed down the connection.
Last edited by Marc on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Userfriendly

Re: Leatrix Latency Fix - Is it coinsidered portable?

#2 Post by Userfriendly »

All it does is modify TcpAckFrequency and TCPNoDelay in the registry. Where does it say that it installs a driver? Registry tweakers can be considered portable if they don't add anything extra like config files in appdata or other stray registry entries.

I've used that fix on every fresh install of my windows ever since I played WoW hardcore back in the day. It definitely lowers pings in online games. As for wireless/wired network, I don't really notice it slowing down my download speeds. I've done many speed tests with and without the latency fix but hardly notice change in normal http or bittorrent downloads. It doesn't really affect data transfer speeds, just the latency.

Read the FAQ by the author http://www.wowinterface.com/portal.php? ... pageid=246

Marc

#3 Post by Marc »

Hum I got it completely wrong, that was based from a quick look at the files. Either way there was no reason to think of a driver, "it looked like a patch file" or maybe I mistaked with one of the other application data windows I had opened? I don't know, but is clearly wrong. :oops: :shock:

Being registry changes pretty much answers everything, but using the example, if an application patches for example system files without saving settings to appdata or leaving registry entries in a similar fashion as LLF?

Regarding the experience with LLF, perhaps the difference lays in the speed of the plan and if whether it has a simmetric connection or not; less available upload bandwidth.

Marc

#4 Post by Marc »

A better example would be TCP-Z, which is able to patch TCPIP.SYS. I searched for it but there was no entry at the forums. I'd go for considering it portable.

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/tcp-z-is-the ... d-patcher/
http://deepxw.blogspot.com/2009/01/tcp-z-center.html

allclownsareevil

#5 Post by allclownsareevil »

The leatrix fix, whilst it works, it does seem incredibly bloated for saying all it does is alter two registry settings. 5meg for that? Seems a little overkill.

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

allclownsareevil wrote:The leatrix fix, whilst it works, it does seem incredibly bloated for saying all it does is alter two registry settings. 5meg for that? Seems a little overkill.
I totally agree. I downloaded and extracted it, and was shocked to find that it looked like coded in Python with countless folders of dependencies for something a mere reg file could do -- I deleted it without further thought.

Userfriendly

#7 Post by Userfriendly »

Actually, version 1 of leatrix were just 3 VBScripts(install,check,remove) that were just 20 kilobytes combined. Version 2 was a single executable dotNET app which was 750 kilobytes. Version 3 is rewritten in python to workaround a UAC and WMI (windows management instrumentation) problem. You can still download version 2 and I have the old vbscripts archived. They're all functionally the same.

As for it being able to be a reg file, its explained in the FAQ as to why it isn't just one.
Why write a program, why not just make a registry file?
Because the keys which are modified are unique to the computer you're using, so it's not possible to make a static registry file and expect it to work for everyone.
Can't believe you people for complaining about size or bloat when its an automated utility that does what its supposed to and probably only have to use once.

There's another alternative called PingEnhancer that has an additional tweak for windows 7/vista and may satisfy the bloat complaint.
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... ancer.html

More network tweaks can be found on speedguide including the gaming related one with info positives/negatives of each tweak.
http://www.speedguide.net/articles/wind ... weaks-2574

allclownsareevil

#8 Post by allclownsareevil »

Userfriendly wrote:Can't believe you people for complaining about size or bloat when its an automated utility that does what its supposed to and probably only have to use once.
Whoa, slow down. I wasn't slating the program, or what it does. Just surprised it's a 5Mb utility that's essentially only a registry modification. When it such a size some people begin to wonder what else does it include?

I'm still glad it was posted because it may be useful to someone.

Marc

#9 Post by Marc »

allclownsareevil wrote:I'm still glad it was posted because it may be useful to someone.
That's the whole point. Hopefully in the future next presentations would be made without wrong asseverations and orthography errors ouch, but since I'm overkilled by life and the each day larger things to learn and do it gets up to the point were I end up doing things in a rush/not favorable conditions and not up to the standard I would like to hum.

I wasn't aware of PingEnhancer, thanks for pointing it out. Interestingly it was last updated in 2010; last version is older than LLF one.

allclownsareevil

#10 Post by allclownsareevil »

Marc wrote:
allclownsareevil wrote:I'm still glad it was posted because it may be useful to someone.
That's the whole point. Hopefully in the future next presentations would be made without wrong asseverations and orthography errors ouch, but since I'm overkilled by life and the each day larger things to learn and do it gets up to the point were I end up doing things in a rush/not favorable conditions and not up to the standard I would like to hum.
Put your hands in the air and step away from the thesaurus.

Marc

#11 Post by Marc »

allclownsareevil wrote:Put your hands in the air and step away from the thesaurus.
Acknowledged.